Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:26:32 PM

Author Topic: Fadal VMC Retrofit,Mach4,dspmc,Tool Changer& Control Panel Buttons. Use PLC ?  (Read 3202 times)

Hey All
     I'm back on my Fadal VMC 6030 , with umbrella style 21 tool changer , 2 speed spindle and Control Panel with 35 Buttons and MPG.
I have motion and Spindle Control , and can do tool changes manually. I would like to use the tool changer and push buttons on the panel .
Would it be easier in terms of programming Lua and more dependable, to use a Click PLC to handle the tool changer , control panel and way lube system?
I'm dumb as a Brick when it comes to programming !!! and would like the machine to be user friendly . As we use it for a wide range of jobs , and need multiple operators.

Dwayne
I like the idea of the separate PLC but I would not use a Click. I'd use one of the new BRX PLCs from AD. WAY more capable, way better programming software. Ethernet, Modbus, RS-232, RS-485, analog I/O in and out, high speed inputs for encoders, high speed ouputs for stepper or servo. The cost of the PLC is nothing compared to programming cost on a one off. The BRX will save you time and money. Visit the Host Automation forum to see how thrilled everyone is with these PLCs
Hi Dwayne,
I'm dumb as a Brick when it comes to programming
rather suggests that using Mach4 for all that stuff would be a challenge for you, it can be done if you have the fortitude for it and
you will get a real blast of satisfaction when it comes together.

and need multiple operators
No matter whether you use Mach or a PLC you don't want multiple operators fiddling with it so I don't think 'user friendly' is
really a decision making input.

In recent times a feature called PMC which is a ladder logic programming tool has been added to Mach4. It may be of interest to you.
Check it out.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
My homebuilt CNC has an old PLC in it in addition to Mach 3.  It controls the limit switches outside of Mach 3 to prevent crashes that might be caused by a Mach 3 issue. The door switches and the key lockout go through the PLC. It controls the lights in the enclosure, the shop vac, the air compressor, which spindle is in use, whether I am using air, coolant or both, whether I am using it with a lathe spindle, whether the stepper signals got to the lathe or the 3D printer head, and the temperature of the print head and print bed. Lots of stuff that I can easily reconfigure at any time.
   Thanks Gary , The machine works as is , but is very Minimalist! Thats what Im looking to do , is making all the functions work properly. So I can exploit all its capabilities.
It is a great machine with 5 Axis capabilities , and I would like it to function like it did before I purchased it .
I know your Fadal well, I ran a 4020 and 6030 for a year.  Manual tool changing on a 6030 sucks big time unless you are big enough and strong enough to hold a tool holder with both arms outstretched so you can reach the spindle and the button at the same time!

The BRX PLC will make getting the tool changer working very easy.  With a Click it will be a lot of compromises to get it working.  I do PLC programming for waste water plants and machinery.  I've used the Clicks on a couple of little jobs and regretted each time. The BRX is a DoMore PLC and the base units compete on price with the Click but are just so much easier to work with.  They are modular too like the Click, you can add on later very easily if you bought too small a unit.
  You now it well! I call it the Ballerina Tool Change ! I was looking to by the smallest one then add the IO modules , Do you have any suggestions as to which one ?
I would also like to use it to operate the 35 buttons on the control panel.
   Ive found a DL05 PLC in a Small Hydraulic Unit I bought awhile back . Do think it would work for my Tool Changer?