Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:37:14 AM

Author Topic: dro reading Zero when G code says different. Newby  (Read 2543 times)

dro reading Zero when G code says different. Newby
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »
Hello i am a newby here and recently finished a table build and have it running. I am using Sheetcam with  floating head with editable switch offset as a post. Everything works correctly until cut height comes into plays z moves down to find surface  raises to pierce position  pierce height .125 displayed correctly on Z DRO and in G code. then drops to cut but carries straight on to material surface does not stop at the cut height setting of.060' in sheetcam and the z position is being called for in the Gcode. So i am thinking I do not have settings correct in Mach 3. or there is an offset I have ignored somehow.

Also I would like to ask you experts which post processor do you prefer in sheetcam for Mach3 plasma if I install THC in addition to my floating head.

Any help appreciated Remember i am a newby and will do my best to understand any reply but I am nott that savvy on set up or code.

Thanks!!

Re: dro reading Zero when G code says different. Newby
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:44:25 PM »
Does it do this if you have Single Block on and you step through the program one line at a time?
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply Unfortunately i do not understand the method you are referring to. How would I accomplish that.

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
It might be a good idea to post the g-code on here (we only need the bit form start to where it hits the plate) so we can look at what is is doing and then we may have a better idea of what you need to do to fix it.

If you click on the 'Single Block' button you can then select the diagnostics tab and watch the 'Dist to go' figures. You need to press 'Cycle Start' each time to make it move to the next line of code and if you have the rapid feed override set to zero you can see the dist to go before the machine moves.

Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 10:30:58 AM »
Hello Graham Thanks for the reply. I am having a family reunion today through the weekend so I will not get back to the machine until next weekend as I am not retired yet. I will do my best to try and follow instructions as of yet I know that I have no rapids set in Mach because I could not find a decent description on what they do and how to set up.  Regarding the g code and single block instruction. The machine has no connection to the internet and the computer only has Mach 3 on it. I use sheetcam on another computer to generate the code. I could copy the G code from sheetcam on a mem stick then somehow post it to this site. Honestly this is the first forum I have ever joined and as a novice unclear on adding code for you to see to my posts.. On another note I see you located in England, I was born in Blackpool and have been in Canada since 1965. Do you know if there is a posting tutorial on the site so I can familiarize my self with adding pictures and code to my posts.
Thankyou for your interest in my issues. I see by your number of posts you have been very involved!

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 10:59:31 AM »
Hi 53Hudson,

There is a short tutorial for adding attachments / pictures here;  http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24585.0.html

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 10:08:59 AM »
Hello to all, Had a few moments early today so  I discovered two things First that my method of saving my floating head switch offset was not correct. Second I kept reIoading a g code file over and over again which was the wrong one Duh! I re measured the offset and correctly added to the post processor then correctly loaded into mach. Now everything is working like it is supposed to. Next I will be adding Proma THC to the system and I am sure I will have more questions while I am doing that. Thanks to everyone for all the help offered!