Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:16:19 AM

Author Topic: MACH 4 for 5-Axis Micro-milling Application  (Read 7135 times)

Re: MACH 4 for 5-Axis Micro-milling Application
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 07:15:17 PM »
Hello,

The closed loop operation is not just for Maxsine motors that we sell, we have many customers that use this option with other brands like Yaskawa, and Teco.  As long as you can get encoder feedback that is 5volts differential quadrature type, you can set it up with our Integra or DSPMC controllers.

If your drive supports differential step and direction signals, that is the best way to avoid loosing steps.  If the motor and driver are closing the position loop themselves, then you do not need closed loop setup.  However, if you have linear scale on the table, using closed loop with the controller will give you better precision.

Using AC servo motors will give you more precision, speed and torque compared to a stepper motor/drive.  eg, with Yaskawa servo drives, you can set extremely high counts per rev in the range of 50000 or even higher, which I don't think you can ever get with stepper systems.

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 10:21:33 PM »
Hi,
the post by Vital Systems Support is spot on. As it stands with your intention to use Aerotech servos and drives you don't need the closed loop
feature. As the post points out it would be ideal for something like a linear encoder. With a little jiggery pokerey you could get an LVDT or even
a resistive sensor to be read as an encoder and so close the loop on that axis/variable. Great feature but not one you require.

I note that in your list you've allowed for a differential step/dir board. If your expected step pulse streams are under 100-150 kHz then differential signalling
is not required. If over that speed and/or in an electrically noisy environment then differential signalling is a great idea.
If you use 2500 line encoders (10,000 count per rev) and you want your servos to achieve 1000 rpm (16.67 rev per sec) then your step frequency without
electronic gearing, ie max resolution, is 10000X16.67=167kHz. You can see that the max signalling rate will determine the max speed of the servo without
the use of electronic gearing. Given the cost of the differential board relative to the cost of the linear stages I'd say go for it.

What arrangements had you in mind for your rotary axes? I'm gobsmacked at the cost of linear stages....let alone rotaries!!! Are you sure you don't want to offer
someone a job, I have a CV ready to go...LOL

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 02:43:13 AM »
Both of them having same capabilities as per my knowledge only has some convenient features as given in comparison. Since Hobby license will not restrict capability so I am opting for that? Am I wrong?
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 03:13:35 AM »
Hi,
to my knowledge the only real difference between Hobby and Industrial is backup. When you start to write your own LUA macros and so on with Hobby you'll
be restricted to the forum. The support ticket system works but its slow for Hobby customers.

If your intention is to use your machine commercially then an Industrial licence is appropriate and if you can't justify $1400 then is your business plan likely
to survive? Unless you have a need...commercial intent or demand high level technical support...then Hobby will be fine.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 02:23:04 AM »
As Craig as said

The main lic difference is that if you use it to make money you are expected to get the industrial

I also believe that it will support macro b and a couple gcode call that hobby does not.

It will also support arguments in sub routines

Note I do run hobby as I am am a hobbies guy but I have many mods to m6 and the screen is altered from stock a few more buttons to aid my use plus a lot of redundant stuff removed to tidy it up and the last the background colour muted from its over bright look

Stuart
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »
The use of Mach4 for commercial production obligates the user to
purchase one license for each production machine, but does not
mean that you have to upgrade to Mach4Industrial.

Mach4Industrial includes priority access to technical support from
ArtSoft, the Macro B programming language, more powerful
screen editing capabilities, and some extensions to the capabilities
of the Lua engine control over Mach4 internals.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 02:37:35 PM »
Thanks Steve for the clarification that’s why I phrased it as I believe