Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:22:37 PM

Author Topic: CSMIO/IPS MACH4 "Counts per unit"/DRO Problem  (Read 13035 times)

CSMIO/IPS MACH4 "Counts per unit"/DRO Problem
« on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:10 PM »
My problem is with the motor tuning. I physically jog the machine 100mm and the DRO in Mach4 will show 160mm for example. Normally this could easily be corrected by adjusting the "counts per unit" under motor tuning in Mach4, but unfortunately that has no effect! Any value entered in "Counts per unit" is completely ignored. I have been running my machine with a pokeys57cnc controller until now and have never had this problem before. CS-Labs support has been useless at best. What seems to be the problem here?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: CSMIO/IPS MACH4 "Counts per unit"/DRO Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »
I have never seen this problem myself.

Are you shutting down Mach and cycling power to the CS-Labs controller after making adjustments to the steps per?

More interesting, I would like to know why the steps per are not the same if running CS-Labs or Pokeys? Steps per are dictated by hardware, not the controller.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 09:25:49 AM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 11:13:14 PM »
No I haven't  been doing the cycling after making adjustments. I wasn't aware that that was required. Originally when I was setting up the CSMIO in mach I did enter all the same values I had with the pokeyes, but it didn't work correctly.  The machine would physically move 1.6 times farther than it was supposed to.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:34:43 AM »
Originally when I was setting up the CSMIO in mach I did enter all the same values I had with the pokeyes, but it didn't work correctly.  The machine would physically move 1.6 times farther than it was supposed to.

That's not right then. The question now is, which one was set correctly? How did you determine the steps per originally? Show me the math.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »
Hi Guys,

I'm having the same problem except I'm moving 2.5 times more than I should be! I have just started fiddling about with Mach4 & CNC in general. What I have done so far is connect Mach 4 to a CSMIO/IP-M to a Z axis lifter so I have something physical to put a tape measure against. Some rough measurements 1.8 deg/step, lifter moves approx 7mm per full revolution and driver is set to 2000 steps/rev .... 2000/7 = ~285 steps per unit(mm)?

No matter what I set the counts per unit to in Mach, the physical machine will move 2.5 (exactly) times further than the readout in Mach. i.e if I tell mach to move 50mm the machine moves 125mm, tell it to move 20mm the machine moves 50mm. Cannot get my head around it!

Any help greatly received.

Cheers
Dan
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 12:14:32 PM »
Leadscrew = 4mm/rotation, driver set to 6400 ppr with 1.8 deg stepper. 6400/4= 1600 steps/1mm
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »
Originally when I was setting up the CSMIO in mach I did enter all the same values I had with the pokeyes, but it didn't work correctly.  The machine would physically move 1.6 times farther than it was supposed to.

That's not right then. The question now is, which one was set correctly? How did you determine the steps per originally? Show me the math.

When you say "thats not right",  do you mean that not cycling the power is what I,m doing wrong?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
I would definitely cycle power after any changes that do not seem to be making a difference. But what I meant was, if the steps per were right with pokeys then the same steps per settings should still be right (and your math looks correct assuming there is no other gearing involved) no matter what controller you use. Maybe the step pulse duration isn't long enough for the drives to see all of them? Have you checked the math on that? Can you change the micro steps on the drives? Might try lowering the count if you can. Are your machine setup units and units mode right for the testing your doing? Think maybe you have a EMI (noise) problem? Post a picture of your CSLabs and the area it lives in. Why did you change from pokeys to CS-Labs if the pokeys was working well?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:51:06 PM by Chaoticone »

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 11:14:04 PM »
Yes I agree,  and entering the same values as in pokeys was the very first thing I did. Csmio pulse duration is %50, not sure if or how that can be changed. It might be a while before i get a chance to take a picture of the cabinet, but i did consider emi and so tried everything with the unit removed from the cabinet and bare essentials powered up. I went away from pokeys because the csmio was easier to interface with 24v servo drivers etc. Pokeys did work well with the non industrial grade stuff, and their tech support and customer service is awesome! CS labs has been useless and frustrating to deal with.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 03:34:48 PM »
Csmio pulse duration is %50

Ok, when you do the math, how long are they on for and what duration do the drives require?

Have the servo drives been configured and tuned?