Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:01:59 PM

Author Topic: Windows 10 IoT  (Read 2084 times)

Offline lgr

•  44 44
    • View Profile
Windows 10 IoT
« on: July 07, 2017, 04:07:15 PM »
Anybody using windows 10 IoT for an operating system? Is it missing anything for mach 4 use?
Re: Windows 10 IoT
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »
Hi,
first I've heard of Windows 10 IoT...looks intriguing but I have to ask 'what relevance does it have to a platform running Mach4?'

As I'm sure you've read that a PC running Mach or in fact any machine control software should do just that and having it connected to either
the internet or even your own network is asking for trouble. With a machine controller trouble="TROUBLE>>!#@$%MOTHERF&&*%$THAT>>>HURTS!!@#@#"

I have licenced Mach to run on two platforms, my normal machine controller, is a dual core Atom mini-ITX board running 32 bit Windows7
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 06:57:30 PM »
Hi,
finish my post...hit the post button accidentally.

My other licenced machine is my i7 Windows 8 laptop.

I can and have run my mill with both platforms and within the exception of file handling speed of the MUCH MUCH more powerful laptop
the difference at the machine is NILL. That's right NILL, if my Gcode calls for a rectangular drill pattern either platform produces the part in
exactly the same manner, accuracy and speed.

Unless someone can tell me an advantage measured in machine accuracy, speed or smoothness conferred by an OS then I'm happy to stick with 32 bit
Windows 7.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »
Are you asking if you could run Mach4 on Windows 10 IOT?

The honest answer is that I don't know for certain but I'd be VERY surprised if you could. Windows 10 IOT is a VERY different beast to Windows 10. It's not intended to be a desktop OS in any way.

Microsoft's insistence on having the same brand identity across as many platforms as possible is the only valid reason I can see for it even having the 'Windows 10' moniker. I'm sure that the platforms share as much code as possible but the same can probably be said for Word and Excel but that doesn't mean they should call Excel 'Word for Spreadsheets'.

Are you looking at the price tag and thinking that's a cheap desktop OS? If so then I'm afraid that's not the case.