Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 01:56:29 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Motors Configuration Screen - All Boxes are Grayed out  (Read 2479 times)

Hi, I'm setting up a lathe for the first time. On the "Mach Configuration / Motors" tab, I have Motor0 and Motor2 checked but all 5 boxes are grayed out. Another post here: https://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,34336.msg237859.html#msg237859 says that he fixed the problem by turning off a bunch of Windows 10 settings.

If so, what Windows services/settings do I disable?
Why are the boxes grayed out?

Thanks for your help,
Kevin.
Re: Mach4 Motors Configuration Screen - All Boxes are Grayed out
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:54:44 PM »
The boxes at the bottom of the motors screen for Velocity, Accel, etc. are
greyed out until one of the motors (with a check mark) is highlighted
because it does not know which motor you are editing until one of them
is highlighted.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 10:36:54 PM »
Thanks, yes once I selected a motor then I could see and change its settings. All looks OK but my motors won't turn when I try to "jog" them. I've checked everything I can think of. Using Win 10, Mach4, UC100, C10 parallel port I/F board, KL-4030 Drivers. Double checked my wiring. The motors "lock up" when power is applied and occasionally when I'm clicking buttons in Mach4 I'll hear one of the motors  "click" like it's getting maybe a single pulse, but that's all, no real motor movement.

Is there a way that I can test the KL-4030 by putting +5 or GND and a squarewave generator on the inputs of the KL-4030? If I can prove that the KL drives the motors then I know the problem is upstream.

-Kevin
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
If you hear a single click every other time that you reverse direction, then
you most likely have the Step and Direction signals swapped in your wiring
or configuration.

Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »
no, not every time, just occasionally. Is there anyone I can talk to, to walk through all the things I've done and checked?
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 11:34:53 PM »
Yes, contact by private message established.
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Got it working! In my case the problem turned out to be just a setting in Mach4, as follows:
In the "Configure/Plugins/UC100" window, on the "Step/Dir Settings" tab, I needed to place a check mark in the "Neg" box for each motor's "Step pin"