Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:01:07 AM

Author Topic: Advice wanted on canned cycle, scripting, etc.  (Read 1211 times)

Advice wanted on canned cycle, scripting, etc.
« on: June 16, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
Hi,
Let me preface by saying; I'm not looking for someone to do my homework (I enjoy the learning process).  I'm looking for advice on which method(s) to use to achieve my desired results.

I am (still) quite new to this, and looking for some advice.  I am looking to run a tapping cycle, in a straight line, on a rail (pre-punched holes).  I have a set pattern in groups of three holes, as such; .625, .625, .500 (inches).  What that is, is a standard "rack unit" spacing for rack mounted computers and such.  The rails, however, come in different lengths, and can be any number of "rack units" from 12 to 52.  Also, the rails may have holes in just one row, or may also have them in two rows, and those rows may have different spacing between them (variable depending on spec).  Additionally, there will be the ability to place rails side by side.

What I am trying to do is create a friendly screen, where a user can input the number of rack units, [one side or two], and the number of rails per run.  Now, baby steps is probably the best way for me to get going, so here's a question (or two):
What is the best way for me to have the three spaces (.625, .625, .500) in to a repeating cycle for a certain number of times.  This will need to happen in a manner that can be used by my next question
What method(s) should I use for getting data (number of "rack units") from a screen text box and have it repeat that "rack unit" for [txtBox value] times.

I know this might be hard to understand, as it was hard to try to word it correctly.  I am hoping that someone will at least understand it well enough to start a conversation with me (and the group).  Through brainstorming, we can solve anything.

Regards,
Patrick

Offline fab

•  3 3
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted on canned cycle, scripting, etc.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 10:12:04 PM »
Hi Patrick

I'm working on a similar problem. Email me if you still need some help or if you worked it out, i'm interested in your solution..

Cheers
Fab

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Advice wanted on canned cycle, scripting, etc.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:31:16 AM »
Design your screen first. Make it look like you want using the type elements you want the user to enter info. into for the variables. You will need to know the names of those elements when you start scripting. Keep it as lean and clean as possible. If those seeing it here can't imagine how to use it to run the right part the end user probably won't either. Typically if you have to have any redundants in a custom interface you need to rethink it. Usually the simpler the screen looks and easier it is to run the machine the more script it takes to make it work. But this is the whole and only reason to do a custom screen. You put the work in once to make it easier for the operator/s to run (for a long time if you build a decent machine).
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!