Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:16:03 AM

Author Topic: One step forward, two steps back.  (Read 1402 times)

One step forward, two steps back.
« on: May 19, 2017, 09:02:27 PM »
Had a newer PC (Win7) than the one that came with the system (WinXP) so I got a PCI/Parallel card  to go in it and transferred all my software to the new PC, including my XML file with all my settings. Had to change ports to Port #2. Everything looks normal but when I jog the torch, the X,Y, and Z settings change but there is no movement of the torch.  What have I missed?

Thanks
Re: One step forward, two steps back.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 11:14:24 PM »
I think I found the problem. The new PC has a 64-bit OS.
Re: One step forward, two steps back.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Hi,
the choices are use an external motion controller which will allow you to use your PC as is OR change OS to 32 bit
Windows 7 or earlier.

Changing OS and using a parallel port it certainly doable, many CNCers do exactly this. The PP can be a bit cussed tho.
Some PCs do a good job when others don't without any particular reason. Additionally PP is VERY sensitive to other software
running on your PC, should your browser auto start say part way thru a machining job the PP will almost certainly stall
and lose the plot.

Given the sensitivity of the PP to PC and/or installed software provided the impetus for external controllers. There are a number
in the $100-$200 bracket that perform well. The companies making them have been around a while and back them up. Don't
buy a cheap-crap one from a no-name supplier, the forum is littered with posts from people who've bought such units and can't
get them to work.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'