Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 07:20:17 PM

Author Topic: Pokeys motion steps overflow  (Read 3786 times)

Offline cncnc

•  11 11
    • View Profile
Pokeys motion steps overflow
« on: April 24, 2017, 05:48:59 PM »
Hey there,

I already posted the following problem in another sub forum but I think this concerns the PoKeys side, too:

I was up to configure Mach4 for my CNC machine and hit on some troubles with "motion steps overflow".
As a controller I'm using a Pokeys57CNC v1.1 via Ethernet and the newest Mach4 version (no third party screen installed, just the Pokeys plugin).
As long as I ran just one axis everything was fine. But as soon as I drove two axes simultaneously and stopped at least one of them I went into some problems. By the moment I stop one of the two axes, Mach4 gives a fault alarm of motion "steps overflow". According to Mach4 the system is losing several hundreds or even up to a few thousand (!) steps. Sometimes even the stepper driver (Leadshine EM 806) gives an alarm signal back to Mach4 after stopping one Motor which I set up to trigger the emergency stop. This doesn't happen when starting the motors. I don't have a clue where this behavior comes from. First I thought the problem is maybe caused by too high back EMF which my power supply capacitor can't handle and which disturbes the control signals, but it seems not to be the actual number of driven motors but the number of driven axes (no matter how many motors are driven) because my Y axes is driven by two motors (slave mode via hardware, Mach4 doesn't know that Y is a dual motor axis).
Motor parameters are 500mm/s² acceleration and 10000 mm/min rapid speed, so nothing special here and according to my calculations it should be an ease for the pokeys to handle. This phanomena applies for both high and low speed.
I also recognized similar problems while incremental jogging. When I try to jog any axis with low speed (<5% of max) in 1mm steps in negative direction, it won't do anything. Error alarm "motion steps overflow (160)" (160 steps per 1mm) pops up. In the opposite, positive direction on the other hand jogging works perfectly fine.
Another minor problem which doesn't really apply for this topic is that I can't change the step size at incremental stepping. I have different values in the settings, but pushing the designated incremental step button won't change anything, it sticks at 1,000.

Any help and/or suggestions are very welcome, cheers!
Re: Pokeys motion steps overflow
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:11:32 AM »
I had the same problem in the beginning when using the Pokeys 57E, but switched to the 57CNC and don't think I had problems since.

Sorry I can't help, but motor tuning seems to be part of the culprit I think.

What I've found is the pokeys needs to be reset when having problems. So take pics of all your Mach and Pokeys screens or write down all the values. Then make sure the pokeys is on and use the pokeys configuration software. That is an outboard program that has nothing to do with mach; make sure mach is closed too. Then in one of the menus there is 'clear settings' button. Click that clear the settings, turn the pokeys off and on and again. Then go back into Mach and re-set up the pokeys. This seems to work for me when something is not working correctly.
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »
hi,

i had the same problem. you are not allowed in pokeys57cnc to drive more than one axis simultaneously in JOG mode.
regards
www.cncprint.blogspot.com

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 12:54:06 AM »
The latest plugin 8.21.0.3344 solves the issue - download it from https://www.poscope.com/downloads/
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
Re: Pokeys motion steps overflow [solved]
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 11:07:12 AM »
Hi NeoTO,

,thankyou the problem has been solved with the last pokeys plugin update. TOP!