Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:01:28 PM

Author Topic: STEPGEN = 0  (Read 6268 times)

Re: STEPGEN = 0
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 04:01:35 PM »
For 7737, you can still use it to command motion to the drives without the encoder feedback.  you don't need the closed-loop activation to send the pulse train to the drives.  The signals available on RJ45 are drive enable, drive alarm, step+/-, Dir+/-, 5v, Gnd, 24v.
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 08:01:03 PM »
Hi Overcooked,
Nice to see someone admit that they didn't know everything.

They guys from Vital are great to work with which is why I have been a happy user all these years.

lol thanks. this isnt the first of the last time that will happen!

For 7737, you can still use it to command motion to the drives without the encoder feedback.  you don't need the closed-loop activation to send the pulse train to the drives.  The signals available on RJ45 are drive enable, drive alarm, step+/-, Dir+/-, 5v, Gnd, 24v.

ya i realize that, i just didn't see the need to integrate it (7737) at this point because i couldn't really use the added functionality that board offered. plus i didnt have the RJ45 cables made up.

But i found all the connectors, cat 6 cable and the crimp gun, wired the drives and encoders into the 7737 and the motors still jog back and forth. =]

but the encoders dont seem to be being picked up by the 7737.

do i need the activation to see the encoders at all? am i looking in the wrong place? or is this another example of my lack of knowledge...  ;D
i had one wired up to the smoothstepper so i have some idea that wiring/encoder is good.

once again, thanks!
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »
without closed-loop activation the encoders 3 thru 8 wont work.  Encoder 0, 1, and 2 are always operational.  you will need the activation to be able to use them for closed-loop control.