Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:04:49 AM

Author Topic: UC100 - lost connection frequently  (Read 5163 times)

UC100 - lost connection frequently
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »
Hello all,

I am hoping someone can direct me to a solution.  Here is what I have:

Windows 10 - Laptop
Mach 3 software
UC100 controller

The UC100 looses connection frequently.  Sometimes within a minute, other times it might take 10 minutes. Seldom, if ever, have I been able to run for more than 10 minutes without a failure.

I have tried this so far...

Different USB cable
Different USB Port
Running a program with the spindle
Running a program with the spindle off (assuming noise from comming from the controller 0 chinese unit).

Yes, everything is grounded to earth.

The UC100 & breakout board is located in a metal cabinet with all the other electronics (power supplies, stepper drives, spindle drive, and fan.

The USB cable passes through a hole into the metal cabinet and plugs into the UC100.

Any ideas?

Chris D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: UC100 - lost connection frequently
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »
Have you tried clip-on ferrites at each end of the USB cable ?
How long is the USB cable ?

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 11:51:58 AM »
Hi Tweakie,

No, I have not tried that yet.  I believe I have some around the shop, will give that a try.

Thanks!

Chris D
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
Hey Tweakie,

I found a ferrite and tried that.  I ran the program that was giving me fits yesterday and it ran fine, about 20 times.  I think you nailed it!
Thanks much!

Chris D
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:39:42 AM »
Ughh,  Problem is back again.  Any other suggestions?

Chris
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:05:39 AM »
Update on this issue...

Well, this is a mystery as there is no consistancy.

This weekend I spent a lot of time working with the machine.  The lost connection was happening frequently, usually on first run, usually when the spindle starts or is running for a short while.  I  moved the VFD about 10 inches away from the rest of the controller electronics and that seemed to fix the problem.

The next day, the problem comes right back again.  I would power up the PC, start the MACH3 software, start the control electronics, start the VFD, and start the spindle - within a few minutes a lost connection.

I tried to revive a couple of older computers and install Mach on them, however, the one refused to boot up the other, with Windows Vista, powered up but was unable to run Mach3 without problems (DLL issue - yes, installed Mach3 Vista patch).

Finally, thinking back to answer about this problem reported elsewhere, someone mentioned to turn off power reduction on the USB ports which I had done but didn't seem to help.  However, assuming low power could have been the problem, I added an AC powered USB hub between the computer and the UC100.  I figure the AC powered USB Hub would have a consistant power level and perhaps eliminate that as an issue.  So far, I have shut down and restarted the whole system about 10 to 15 times without a problem.  I am still skeptical as I have tried other things that seemed to fix the problem only to have it come back again.

Chris D

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 07:10:52 AM »
Hi Chris,

Stranger things have happened but let's hope that resolves the problem.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Hey Tweakie,

I sure hope so!  I got a good machine now, much better than the previous one I built about 12 years ago.  The Mach software is really stable, the new spindle and drive so far are performing good.  Just hope to get this bug resolved so I can spend more time making things with the machine than making things for the machine.  Both are fun, but still need to get the other things done too!

Chris D