Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:44:07 AM

Author Topic: Lazy Turn way of life?  (Read 41116 times)

Lazy Turn way of life?
« on: April 06, 2017, 08:56:01 AM »
I am using Lazy Turn as I much prefer the results over Lazy Cam, I have noticed the finish tool path generator inserts an extra line number in the gcode approximately every 5600 lines (yes, it's a big part). It's not a big deal to edit them out, is this normal?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Turn way of life?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 07:04:21 AM »
You should  just scroll through the generated code in Lazyturn as there are a few ( 1 or 2 things  ) codes that get posted that should be fixed.
LT  is the way it is and will not get updated.

RICH

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
I noticed this also,  it seems that mine does it every time it generates a G0.
I just do a "Find" "G0" in my text editor and delete the extra line number.
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
Hi All,

Not sure if you can help me but I've set my lathe up with a high torque stepper to try some simple threading.  I've calibrated the spindle and can control it with mach3.  I don't have my tach yet and I'd like to lock the spindle speed to the STrue value.  Anyone know a quick way to do that?

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 04:34:11 PM »
Gordon,
Am I correct in saying that you are using a stepper motor to drive a conventional lathe spindle?

RICH
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 06:35:23 PM »
Yes I've built an attachment that allows me to quickly change from the standard VF DC motor to a high torque stepper.  By setting the spindle to step/dir I can control the stepper (power/speed) via mach3.  I've calibrated it, with a laser tach, to reflect the exact RPM's but without an integrated tachometer I don't get the control signal to engage the threading operation.  I want to just force the STrue to the spindle speed.  It really only has the needed torque up about 300 rpm's.  I've pulled out most of the backlash in the system and compensated for the rest in the backlash settings. 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 08:59:41 PM »
Gordon,
You need some type of  feedback to Mach so it is reading the rpm via an index. Use a slotted disc, or some type of sensor like Halls affect sensor as an index. Suggest you read Threading On The Lathe write up.

RICH
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 10:11:17 PM »
Hi Rich,

Thanks for reply, I've got the tach ordered already.  I was hoping for a software solution to just bypass that for now.  I'm looking forward to having a hard tach DRO. 

Gordon
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 01:30:38 AM »
Hi Rich,

I've installed the hall effect sensor and I've got a good rpm reading in mach3.  There seems to be an odd problem with the index signal though.  I've only been able to get it to run through the thread cycle once.  I have been unable to run the cycle successfully since.  It just stops spontaneously.  It seems that if I've got a good RPM reading then the index signal should work properly as well.  Could it be signal noise on the BOB?  Does it matter if I'm using the demo version? 

I'm stumped. 

Thanks,

Gordon

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 04:59:50 AM »
Gordon,
You need to purchase Mach for threading to work. Threading does not work in the demo version.

RICH