Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:17:27 AM

Author Topic: Probing g31 question  (Read 4795 times)

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
Probing g31 question
« on: March 31, 2017, 09:11:01 PM »
Just want to check and see if when using g31 to probe, will the axis stop without motors connected?

I am testing a script but with no motors on connected the dro's move but when I trigger the probe they keep moving..
I am sure the probe is being triggered the probe led lights up in mach4, so I am assuming the motors have to be connected

Gary

Offline Stuart

•  311 311
    • View Profile
Re: Probing g31 question
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 10:32:45 AM »
Are you using the sim or a motion controller

FYI the G31.x is done in the motion controller not in mach4 , therefore if you use the sim plugin it wil not work

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
using the pokeys57cnc plugin but don't have any motors connected...

thanks gary
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2017, 04:47:28 AM »
Dear Gary,

I got the same problem with my PoKeys57CNC and already opened a ticket at PoLabs to that (see http://support.polabs.com/view.php?auth=o1xxabaaafqaqaaayH2MtBvuPvJ2Sg%3D%3D).

So far, no solution is given. I guess the problem is internal to the PoKeys57CNC's firmware.

Currently the only workaround is to probe manually (without using G31 commands).

Regards,
    Carsten

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 02:13:21 PM »
I did get it working on mine, I turned off simulator or so I thought checked it again and it was on finally got it to stay off and now the dro stop's
when the probe is triggered... had to use the pullup resistor on with mine but seems to work now I will test with motors connected.

Gary
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
Dear Gary,

Thanks for the tip; I deactivated the simulator (never used it), but that did not solve my problem (I got a pull-up resistor to Pin19, as well).

As long the motors do not have an used encoder, it should make no difference if you test it with or without connected motors.

Regards,
    Carsten

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
I hooked up the motors and they stop fine when the probe is hit just an update..

What resistor you using I am pretty sure mine is a 10k...

Gary
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:34:15 PM »
Hi Gary,

I use a 1 k Resistor, but that does not make a difference (0.5 mA vs 5 mA). Tried it with 10 k, same result.

Regards,
    Carsten

Offline gorf23

•  189 189
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 05:41:41 PM »
I have been testing home switches and a funny thing I made two boards to wire the home and probe thought..

one board I connect to the pokeys57cnc 26 pin connecter to draw the +5v and gnd, that board works fine home switches trigger and  mach4 sees them

the second board I connected external power +5 and gnd, and when home switch is triggered mach4 doesn't see it

tested the voltage going to the input of pokeys when triggered and they are both the same..
and both the same when not triggered...

so I am confused here will they on work if the +5 - are only from the pokeys board?.
for me at the moment that seems to be the case...

gary
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »
I am guessing that you may not have the grounds connected.
If you are connecting the voltage from the board with external power supply to the Pokeys, they must share a common ground. Try connecting a ground on your board to the ground on your Pokeys and it should work. Do not connect more than one of the 5 V supply lines to the same board but it is OK (actually it is required) to have common grounds.
Graham

I have been testing home switches and a funny thing I made two boards to wire the home and probe thought..

one board I connect to the pokeys57cnc 26 pin connecter to draw the +5v and gnd, that board works fine home switches trigger and  mach4 sees them

the second board I connected external power +5 and gnd, and when home switch is triggered mach4 doesn't see it

tested the voltage going to the input of pokeys when triggered and they are both the same..
and both the same when not triggered...

so I am confused here will they on work if the +5 - are only from the pokeys board?.
for me at the moment that seems to be the case...

gary
--------------------
Graham