Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:08:26 PM

Author Topic: POKEYS57CNC and Spindle  (Read 3400 times)

POKEYS57CNC and Spindle
« on: December 13, 2017, 02:16:34 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how to connect my spindle VFD to the POKEYS57CNC v1.3 board. I'd like to use PWM to control speed as well as get speed reported back via PWM. Reverse would be nice too, but not necessary. I'm including a pic of the pins on my VFD. Can anyone guide me on how to wire this up AND the subsequent settings in MACH4 Hobby?  I know I can use the 0-10v output to control speed, I'm just trying to get as much control as possible with the VFD.  Thanx.
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”
Re: POKEYS57CNC and Spindle
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:44 AM »
Hi,
what sort of VFD is it? Can you post the manual?

My Delta VFD-B can be voltage (or current) controlled like the vast majority of VFDs, in addition it has a digital output that produces PWM to represent speed.
This last feature is not universal though. The Delta VFD-E series for instance does not have this PWM output.

You will have to determine whether your particular VFD has a PWM output. The pic of the terminals suggests not, but the manual will tell you for sure.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:42 AM »
It is a Huanyang VFD.  Model # HY02D223B.  According to the documentation, the "5V Fout" is 5V Frequency signal output.
- Robert Beaubien
- Drone Plastics
-
“Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X.  She's never coming back and don't ask Y.”
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 06:09:48 PM »
Hi,
can you post the manual?

The basic process with all VFDs I've come across anyway is that you will have to program the VFD to accept
a voltage as the primary speed command.

What is not clear from your description is whether the 5V FOUT signal is PWM (possible but not common) or
whether it is  a digital IO that signals when the output frequency is, or close to, the commanded frequency output,
this type of signal is very common.

Whether the 5V FOUT signal is PWM or just On/OFF it will still have to be programmed into the VFD.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
the pokeys puts out 3.5v you will need to boost it up to 5V