Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:52:37 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 reads in cm and not in mm in Gcode file...  (Read 9791 times)

Re: Mach3 reads in cm and not in mm in Gcode file...
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2018, 12:51:59 PM »
UPDATE TIME!!!   :) :) :)

I tried running MACH3 as Administrator and sadly that didn't work either...  :(

I am happy to report that I am almost 100% certain the problem was caused by either a Microsoft Security update OR a MICROSOFT .NET update.  >:(

I was suspicious of the updates because of what was happening on the PC, it took me a while to notice it....

I always pin the icon of a program I use often on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen and for some reason the MACH3 icon had vanished when I first went to it to try to read the values , that is another question I have but I will come back to it after I solve this problem...

I looked at my updates and there were 4 updates that happened on Tuesday 13th March and that was when the problem appeared.  So I removed all 4 of them, I know I should have taken them out 1 at a time to identify the culprit but I rushed ahead and removed them all.  Now MACH3 will run without crashing but it looks a bit 'messed up' - it won't show me the Motor Tunings window so I have just removed everything and I am trying to 'clean everything up' so I can do a fresh install of MACH3, I will use the version you recommended Tweakie.

I will update later once I have reloaded MACH3. I just might be lucky enough to not have to perfomr a full machine reload  :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2018, 01:33:53 PM »
OK  :) :) :) :) :)

Another update, Everything seems to be OK now except the XBOX 306 controller.  So tonight I will get that operational again.

I have set the machine to warn me about updates and not to automatically install them so I will see which 4 are the ones I deleted and then I will ask around to see if anyone else has had trouble with them.

I want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me some of their time and read these postings and made suggestions. Without all of you I would still be flondering, you advice kept me on the correct path to solving the problem so

THANK YOU ALL!!!!!  :) :) :) :)

I do however now have the question I intended to ask you all before this problem occured....

With my old ACER PC, (Sorry I thought it had been a Dell but when I checked I see I was wrong),my 'steps per unit' were X-711, Y-711 & Z-1600 and the machine ran fine and very accurately.

Now with the new PC the 'steps per unit' were X-28, Y-28 & Z-63

Does anyone have any ideas why these numbers vary so much, was I simply setting every wrong before and now that I am using the MACH3 calibration system the settings are right or should I be looking at another setting to adjust?

Perhaps a setting on the Stepper driver?

Again a big THANK YOU to you all!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »
Hi,
the difference between the two is 711/28= 25.4

Just happens to be the conversion factor between mm and inches. What are your native units?

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
Craig, I just checked. I wanted MACH3 set to mm and it is....

So I previously must have had it set to inches even though Vcarve was set to mm, hmmmm.... Not to worry though it ran fine before.

Hopefully I will get time to run the machine tomorrow, I am busy all day already!!!!

Thanks again!!!

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 03:52:51 PM »
Hi,
the difference between the two is 711/28= 25.4

Just happens to be the conversion factor between mm and inches. What are your native units?

Craig

that was brilliant. 100% onto the point
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.