Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:17:35 AM

Author Topic: How to make Mach 4 wait for spindle to come up to speed?  (Read 4318 times)

How to make Mach 4 wait for spindle to come up to speed?
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:31:17 PM »
Finally got my Mori SL1 retrofit up and running, but when I ran my first program Mach 4 isn't waiting for the spindle to come up to speed even though I have that option check marked in the spindle settings.

Any suggestions?

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
Re: How to make Mach 4 wait for spindle to come up to speed?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 06:51:21 PM »
Two options here:

1. Use the time based waits.
2. Use VFD outputs.

For #1, you must enter the spindle ramp times in the Spindle tab for each range.  Range 0 is the default range. 
For #2, if your VFD has output for "at speed" and "at zero", simply wire them to an input on your controller or I/O device.  Then map those inputs to the ISIG_AT_SPEED and ISIG_AT_ZERO signals.

Steve
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »
Ah didn't notice that in the spindle tab. Thanks.
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:13 AM »
So this doesn't work. I have the accel time and decel time set, but it makes no difference when I'm using the lathe wizards, which is what I always use.

Is there a setting in the lathe wizards to have it pause before starting to cut. I already set dwell time and it does nothing. Or can I use a custom code? I see in the lathe wizards that you can have custom gcode. If so what would I put and in what box?
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 05:00:55 PM »
G4
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 05:48:15 PM »
Thanks I'll try that or see if it's putting it in there.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »
Ok so not sure what the spindle ramp up speeds in "Mach Settings > Spindle" is supposed to do, because it does nothing.

Also not sure what "dwell" refers to in the Mach 4 Lathe Wizards "Settings" is supposed to do, because it does nothing either. it doesn't put the G4 code in there as you think it would.

And in the lathe wizards I can't edit the gcode. It saves it as an ini file, then when I post it and try to use "edit gcode" while on the main screen it gives me an error so I can't add G4 manually.

Any help would be appreciated.

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 10:14:20 PM »
I use G4 and set a 12 second delay while the spindle ramps up. I did this by inserting a code before the first MOP in my Post Processor. Here's what it looks like.

G20 G90 G64 G40 - sets primary modes
M102 - my macro to start the dust collector
M104 - my macro to start the spindle
G4 P12000 - 12 second wait.
G0 Z1.0 goto clearance.

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 01:00:17 AM »
I get that, but I'm using the built in Lathe Wizards and I can't figure out how to get the code in there. I can't even edit it once it's processed as it's not a text file.

I wonder if the built in wizards have a post processor I could edit?