Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:11:07 PM

Author Topic: HSL with Servo products cnc control (Sort of an omniturn)  (Read 6847 times)

Offline A1CNC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
HSL with Servo products cnc control (Sort of an omniturn)
« on: February 16, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Just pulled one of these out of 2 feet of snow. The price was right..FREE!
The Hardinge looks to be in good shape and it has a small x-y table on it. I have no manual for it and can't find much info about the cnc control. No pictures of the actual machine yet as it is in the back of my pickup under a tarp with snow again last night,

Anyone know anything about the servo products control?

TIA

Offline A1CNC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Re: HSL with Servo products cnc control (Sort of an omniturn)
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 06:59:54 PM »
Well,
I finally got this off my truck, It weighs more than I thought!

I tested the original controller and it doesn't seem to work so...New control time!
The original control used Pittman brush dc servos and the drive is a linear 2 axis drive there are encoders and tachs on each axis. The servos are listed as 19.1vdc 3.52 A continuous 21.5a peak , am I correct that 19.1v is the peak voltage?
I would like to stay with the servos on this. Can anyone sugest drives?

I have a Galil 4 axis control and was sort of thinking that might be a good fit but I am open to suggestions as it has been a while since using Mach3.

My last lathe I did was ~3-4 years ago with steppers. I have since been using my Hardinge Superslant so the little 9x20 I converted has been collecting dust. It doesn't compare to a Superprecision Hardinge with a 20hp spindle!

Lately though the Hardinge is showing signs it is time for replacement so I am back at the smaller lathes.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 11:09:50 PM »
We have a Servo 5000 mill. Google Servo Source. Talk to Everett he likely can help you.

Offline A1CNC

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 09:40:52 PM »
Thank you garyhlucas,

I did already find servo source. Does your servo 5000 mills control work? I am trying to decide if it's even worth messing with the original control or just start fresh.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
Yes our Servo 5000 controls work. However the 5000 doesn't use conventional servos. It uses variable reluctance steppers and the drives are really strange beasts. The machine was converted from a DOS based controller to Windows by the previous owner and they couldn't get it work afterwards. So we bought it as a blown control. Got it to our shop and plugged in all the cables and it worked perfectly!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 01:24:52 PM »
I been gone for a long time but I happen to have this Servo 8000 lathe for over 10 years. I love this little machine, if it were a girlfriend I'd hug and kiss it daily. Everett R is still kicking it in Kansas. He was a huge help keeping this machine running and he still helps till this day. I'm using the all original one liner CNC control but its so bullet proof I don't want to change it. Always think long and hard about an upgrade to AC servo but for now its works just fine. If you get the bar feeder working right you can take a nap and all your parts will be in a bin when you wake up. A slick piece of work for its day.

I hope A1 CNC still has his machine chugging along.

Robert, Allstar 

Offline fast89

•  154 154
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 12:40:09 PM »
Here is mine in the process of converting to cnc.