Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:35:22 PM

Author Topic: Version 2 has no tenths jog increment  (Read 5050 times)

Version 2 has no tenths jog increment
« on: January 17, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
 Has anybody had a problem with the jog incremental tenth's step on Mach 4 version (2) 2.0.3233   ?

I noticed that mine doesn't work. I downloaded the earlier version 4.2.0.3196  Date of version is: 9/23/2016.

That version has the tenth's increment working fine with 2 clicks of the mouse increments 0.0002".

Then I downloaded 2.0.3233 again (The latest version as of now) & the tenth's jog increment does not work.

I wonder if there is a script edit that can easily correct it.
Re: Version 2 has no tenths jog increment
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:43 PM »
 Just to update my own post in case anyone's interested, I spent some time comparing the 2 versions in some of the scripts.
 I compared both versions in what I could find.
I copied 3 scripts in each version & compared them in Notepad++.

1) Operator/Edit Screen/wx4/Properties/Screen Load Script

2) Operator/Lua Script

3) Computer/C:/Mach4Hobbie/Profiles/Mach4Mill/Machine

In the 3rd one "Machine" there were some differences in code lines #3345-#3355. Notepad++ figured that out for me.

I'm not sure. I don't think it matters to me at this point. If I want the tenth's jog step that bad, I'll just use
 version 4.2.0.3196 (The earlier one).

I seem to remember reading that the newer version had updates for lathes. I'm running a mill.

If I appear  a little naive it's because I am. This is all new to me.
 I'm just exploring through the program to try to figure out how to use it all.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 08:52:47 PM »
What are your jog increments set to in configuration, general?

Don't think anything changed in versions of Mach that would affect jog increment. Likely a difference in the profile because you are using/playing in a default profile and it would have been overwritten when you updated or if you have 2 installs, it is using the other profile. If you created a custom profile this would not happen. If you really want to learn about Mach read the manuals then play as you read them again. 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:32:28 PM »
What is your steps/inch setting in the motor config tab?
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
 Thanks for taking the time to respond Chaoticone & bob. So you guys are saying that this issue I'm speaking of
appears to be just me? It wouldn't surprise me. I just noticed version 4.2.0.3206 was the one I was using before
I downloaded 3233 & noticed no tenth's incremental jog.
It was still in my downloads folder. I found 3196 the latest development version I found on Mach 4 website when I tried to go back.

So I tried updating my PMDX411 motion controller plugin to the latest version. Then went back to 3233(the latest version of Mach 4)
& I still have no tenth's increment. Now I just downloaded Mach version 3206 with the latest motion controller plugin & the tenth's
work fine.
The motion controller plugin threw up a message box telling me "though it will work, we recommend using version 3233"
(which will give me no tenth's)

Ok, maybe it's just me. Or maybe I found a new bug here. I don't want cause unnecessary work for anyone.

I've spoken to you before on the phone Bob. You were very helpful to me. So is Steve. If you want to ask me any questions,
I'll work with ya if you think it could be the motion controller plugin.

Like I said, I'm a little green so it could be just me.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 03:40:20 PM »
Actually now that I walked away & thought about it, I doubt it's the PMDX 'cause it's doing the same thing on my simulated

motion controller on my desktop. All 3 of my computers with licensed software are doing the same thing. 1 configured machine,

1 desktop I play with to learn & 1 laptop that I recently put the software on to experiment with an Arduino.

since you asked, I'm running Gecko G540 with 10,000 steps per unit. that didn't change. The jog steps in configuration is the same
as default which works fine on the earlier version.

I'm not losing any sleep over it. I just thought I'd throw it out there.
 I am curios if anyone else has this issue or not.

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »
Todd774,
The MPG has been working fine since late 2015.
It was changed last year from Mach4 Control to Plugin Controller control last year.
The Controller now performs the incremental movements based on the Mach4 settings when in Plugin Controller mode and not simulation.
The MPG incremental accuracy in conjunction with steps per unit determines how accurate it will be.
So if you have a fine pitch BallScrew and high =>10 Microsteps then it moves in finer increments values due to a higher level of pulses.

For example, let’s say you used 100 counts/mm (2540/inch) this means:
0.1mm = 10 pulses
0.01mm = 1 pulse
0.001mm =???? Invalid level of precision
In your case of 10000/inch then 0.01 = 3.9 pulses

You can view this in the diagnostic on your Controller if they show all the motion like HiCON (not sure what the PMDX411 shows).
I presume that 10,000/unit you are using on the Motor settings is in Inches, if so, 20,000/unit or more would be better.
Regards,
Mauri.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »
If you have 10,000 steps per you should be able to move in .0001 increments with no problem.

I can repeat the problem here too so I think there is something to it. Will let you know what we find.
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 07:49:17 PM »
Thanks Mauri for taking the time to respond. With all this screwing around with this machine, I wound up having to
configure the whole thing from scratch. Well at least I'm getting better at it.

I'm not sure if I'm communicating with you completely. I like to at least respond to you.
for what it's worth, I wasn't using an MPG device. I was just clicking my mouse on the screen.

My Gecko G540 appears to only have the option of running 10 microsteps.
I'm running in inches. I have 5 threads per inch on my ball screws.
That should give me 10,000 microsteps per unit according to my calculations.

I presently went back to the 3206 version (The version before the present latest "3233" I think)
For the shear reason that I like the .0001" increments to find my '0' point.

I'm totally self taught the old fashion way from manual machines. I use a rolling paper to pinch between the tool
& the work to find '0'. I do have a wiggler but don't seem to use it much.

I have experimented with a ground connected to an input to find '0' which I'll probably use more after I
get more confident with it.

I'm obviously only on the hobby level at this point after building my first machine with nothing but the internet to guide me.

I'm sure that's too much useless information for this forum.

(While I'm on the subject of useless information, I would like to say that the machinist forums on the internet are
some of the most intelligent conversations on the internet) I just hope I'm worthy enough to appear just as intelligent.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:51:10 PM by Todd774 »

Offline Mauri

•  328 328
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 09:08:01 PM »
Todd774,
I am not sure what MPG you have or what controller you are going to use.
I use an MPG directly plugged into my HiCON controller, with HiCON controlling it and it works fine.
HiCON may be more costly than other drivers, however it is more robust than others who still are making lots of corrections.
We converted a mill to CNC and are using Level 5 ball screws, normal ones are Level 7.
All ballscrews when they are small have accuracy issues, so the larger they can be the more accurate they will be.
I only use .01mm as it is equal to .00039" increments.
Going to .001mm is just to fine (.000039) and requires a lot more micro steps and virtually zero back lash which will never exist on hobby equipment.
I also have some USB VistaCNC MPG's one early version with a questionable Mach4 plugin driver and a later version with a more reliable Mach4 plugin driver.
I am using Mach v3233 which matches the latest HiCON plugin drivers.
I would not use the keyboard for MPG.
MPG for tool height setup with say .1mm tip cutter requires fine MPG control and we normally use a brass shim to ensure the tip does not get damaged.
Backlash also need to be at minimum on the Z axis.
You need that accurate touch and feel when setting cutters up manually.
Regards,
Mauri.