Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:35:54 PM

Author Topic: PLC Tool Changer Help. Where to Start?  (Read 2095 times)

PLC Tool Changer Help. Where to Start?
« on: January 15, 2017, 12:16:19 PM »
I'm retrofitting a Mori Seiki SL1. I've figured out how the tool changer works and how I'm going to program it with an Automation Direct Click PLC.

I have no idea of how to start with Mach 3. There's so many ways it seems that you can do it.

Basically my PLC with take a signal from Mach 3 and the plc will do the tool change and send a response to Mach 3 when the tool change it complete. I know how to program the PLC, but not Mach 3.

From reading I think I need to setup ModBus between Mach 3 and my PLC. So does that mean just a serial cable from my computer to the PLC? Does it bypass my Pokeys 57E completely?

Then do I need to program macros for tool changes?

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: PLC Tool Changer Help. Where to Start?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:08:58 PM »
Sometimes brute simple is best. If you have 4 outputs on the CNC57 you could output 4 bits binary to the click for 16 tools. One bit back to Mach 3 to say task is done
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 01:03:15 PM »
To go a little further, one more bit gets you 32 tools. An additional bit can give you parity checking to guarantee data transfer. Also if the changer is rotary you can determine position the same way  with 4 or 5 switches and do a simple compare to know which tool you are on.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »
if I'm using a PLC then I know how to program that. I just don't know how to program mach 3 or setup modbus.