Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:45:37 AM

Author Topic: Parabolic Dish  (Read 5492 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Parabolic Dish
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 09:48:28 PM »
Brian,
No disrespect intended on your advise.
My reply was intended to offer an alternative to suggested ways of accomplishing something. I also said where I was coming from in suggesting it.

Take Care,
RICH
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
No idea why you would use an 1/8" end mill to finish a surface with a huge radius after roughing it with a 1/4" end mill.  The 1/8" end mill will produce a far rougher surface and take forever to do the job.  You ought to have used the 1/4" with a smaller step over for the finish, or even better the largest radius cutter your spindle can turn at a light depth of cut.  The finish could be really smooth that way.
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 11:39:39 PM »
Gary,
Actually what I posted wasn't entirely accurate. When MeshCAM Art created the tool path, I omitted the roughing tool path. And instead, used the tool path it had created for the finishing cut. (Even though I had specified 1/8" end mill as the cutter, I actually used a 1/4" end mill as the cutter). It turned out really smooth, and it took a total of 10 minutes to cut. I apologize to everyone, for lying about what I did. It is something that I frequently do, as far as the machine is concerned (lie about tool size). It actually produces some interesting results, to do this (IF one is willing to accept the slightly smaller carving, that results from using a cutter with a larger diameter than the diameter specified when the tool path is generated). The reason, is to produce a carving with the greatest amount of detail. By specifying a smaller diameter cutter, a more detailed tool path is generated, than is possible when specifying the actual diameter of the cutter used.
Again, THANKS everyone!
-Michael