Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:09:32 AM

Author Topic: Sorry to be a pain again but  (Read 4503 times)

Re: Sorry to be a pain again but
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 01:32:36 AM »
cheers everyone , especially jim , for your help , gonna start now , I'm like a kid in a toy shop at the moment , no doubt ill be in touch soon
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 02:22:32 AM »
am I right in thinking to get my -z value manually  I should measure the distance between the tip of the bit to the cutting surface and add this into my g code  immediately AFTER G0z5.000 .
for example G0z-10.000 ?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2017, 02:39:43 AM »
You could edit your Gcode manually but ideally the depth of cut should be set in your CAD/CAM software (ArtCam ?) before you generate the Gcode.

Within the CAD/CAM software it is usual to set Z0 as the top surface of the work then the depth of cut will be a negative value (for example Z-5.0 if you want to cut 5 units deep). Then, before machining the work the cutter is lowered to just touch the surface of the work and the Mach3 Z axis DRO set to Zero - the cutter is then raised above the work surface and the job is started.

Perhaps do a search for Auto Tool Zero - that should explain how to set Z zero and the tool to the surface of the work (If it's any help to you I have described the way I set tool position here http://www.cooperman.talktalk.net/files/17.htm )

Tweakie.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 02:42:44 AM by Tweakie.CNC »
PEACE