Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:09:26 PM

Author Topic: Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles  (Read 12028 times)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 03:34:04 AM »
Still thinking about this design for use as a jigsaw puzzle…

The puzzle would need to be round or hexagonal in shape to provide the maximum number of identical pieces but assuming the puzzle’s picture was printed both sides then each piece could have just one of 6 x the number of complete dovetiles as a possible position.

Just taking a snapshot of one dovetile bounded by a circle perhaps illustrates the possibility.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
I'm trying to cut these with a .0312" router bit and am having trouble with the fit up. The pieces are loose an not fitting tight. I've tried to offset the cut and it's worse. I guess I don't quite understand the way offsets work. I also have some new 1mm bits I could try out. I guess they are about .0394".

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 01:48:22 AM »
Hi Jammerm,

If it’s any help, here is the CAD/CAM generated toolpath (which includes the tool  radius offset) to use with a 1mm diameter cutter.
The datum is the centre, material thickness 1.5mm and overall the dovetile is approx. 50mm diameter.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
Thanks Tweakie, I give it a shot. I suppose this would all change if I increased or decreased the size?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 11:47:03 AM by Jammerm »

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 01:46:09 AM »
I suppose this would all change if I increased or decreased the size?

Yes it would.

tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 09:20:10 AM »
50 mm is actually a good size. I want to make some simple puzzles for the grandkids, maybe 10 or 12 pieces. They can put it together right or go a little Picasso. :D
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »
I did try to go to this fellows website but I think it's been hacked. He had a tutorial for routing the parts. All I got was a phishing scam.
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 12:08:04 PM »
I did try to go to this fellows website but I think it's been hacked. He had a tutorial for routing the parts. All I got was a phishing scam.
Sorry about the dead-links.

You are the first person who has complained (about the missing trispokedovetiles pages) even though I lost my website hosting in January. I was not "hacked" but the gcehosting administrator seems to have gone out of business and the hosting company he was using (godaddy who are responsible for any scams) is serving various spurious adverts whenever anyone clicks one of my old links.

I have got the following pages back on-line with a different hosting company now so try these links.

Trispokedovetiles: Three-spoke dovetailing tiles by Peter Dow

Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles by Peter Dow   

Trispokedovetiles Gallery

I can't edit my earlier posts to correct the old links, sorry.

I've not done anything with this project since January.

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 06:43:33 PM »
Well, thank you Mr. Dow. I did not mean cause problems, I just hoped someone would take off the earlier links. The last one I clicked on nearly shut down my computer. A nasty Trojan, I think I caught it before any damage. No ransom demands yet anyway.
I just like these interlocking puzzles and have been trying to cut some. I have tried some that were fish or lizards, I can't remember what these are called. And,I'm not very good at code or CAD.
Thank you for these new links and I would warn everyone of the old links.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:35 AM »
Hi guys,

I have removed the dead / hacked links from this thread.

Tweakie.
PEACE