Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:31:43 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys 57U to run C6 variable speed control board  (Read 3026 times)

Pokeys 57U to run C6 variable speed control board
« on: December 07, 2016, 06:41:02 PM »
I'm ruining a db25 c10 breakout board for my primarily axis controller. The C10 is connected to a C6 for spindle control. I'd like to remove the C6 from the C10 and drive the pulse from the pokeys57, but the internet doesn't have anything in language I can understand.

Mach3 pokeys configuration has my head spinning, i can kind of read it, but not fully understand it.

Eventually, I'd like to add a spindle position encoder, a tool touch probe, feed rate override with a encoder switch, and a few action buttons but that's another day in the future. I would like to get the spindle control working first.
Re: Pokeys 57U to run C6 variable speed control board
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »
For what I have tried:  I hooked the C6 board to the pokeys 57u  pin 23 Step 24 DIR, and COMMON to GND.  I configured the 23 and 24 as Mach I/O pins 40, and 41.   So far, I get no spindle movement.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:18:38 PM »
For the use of the pokeys use as driver there are specific pin out for direction and pulse, pin 38 x dirc.39 y direc and pin 40 for z direction
puls output are 46 fot x,47 for y and 49 fot he z axis pulse.Atention the pin out for pulse must have a pull up resitor 470 Ohm.
hop useful for you.all other pins are free programmable via the pokey config in the mach3 screen.greeting Andre
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:15:54 PM »
I am armed with a little more knowledge.

i presently have a C10 breakout board controlling all of my axis. I would like to setup the pokeys 57u to control my spindle control through a C6 variable spindle control board which interprets a step signal and outputs voltage to a spindle motor. I would also like to use my c10 board to control all of my other axis. The c6 board only requires the step signal and a ground to operate the spindle speed.

what I have tried:
1) I hooked the C6 board to the pokeys 57u pin 23 Step 24 DIR, and COMMON to GND. I configured the 23 and 24 as Mach I/O pins 40, and 41.
this has not worked.

afterwords, I isolated that the c6 board does not need a dir signal after this hooking back up the c6 to my C10 board to verify.

2) I connected the c6 board ground to the pokeys ground, and the c6 step to pokeys pin #40. And configure pin #40 as  output "mach3 I/o pin #20". Then configured the spindle step pin in Mach ports and pins Spindle pin as pin 20. This did not operate the spindle. With a multimeter I checked the pin and it has a constant 1 volt signal with the spindle on and off. 

i have no way of telling if a signal is a step signal.

i need to be advised to have one pin on the pokeys be setup as a step signal from mach3 to operate the speed of my spindle. The spindle will eventually have an encoder on it, but at this time I just need it to operate.

thank you.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 09:57:04 PM »
Update for someone that runs into the same problem Google searching keywords "pokeys 57u or 57e C6 spindle control.

I went under the pwm tab and mapped pin 22 to map DRO in %,  DRO 817 spindle requested DRO, and multiplier at .0055.  the top PWM module period 45.0000. Which sets the frequency to 22.222khz.

Under the pokeys mapping tab, I map pin 22 to Mach I/o pin 22, and ports and pins in mach3 I set the spindle to pin 22.

This gets the spindle to turn on and move.

Unfortunately I habe no idea how to tune it and match the actual RPMs for what I have set in Mach.