Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:10:13 AM

Author Topic: POKEYSCNCDB25 Signal Issue when Spindle turned on or off.  (Read 3049 times)

POKEYSCNCDB25 Signal Issue when Spindle turned on or off.
« on: November 06, 2016, 10:27:56 AM »
Hi Everyone,

The setup is a Taig Mill running with Gecko G540 controller + PokeysCNCdb25 + POUSB to Mach 3 PC.

The servos work fine and I can run gcode in Mach 3. The issue I'm having is that sometimes when the Spindle is turned on or off, the servos will stop moving and Mach3 will stop reading the gcode. If I try to manually move the servos in Mach 3 it doesn't work. It happens intermittently but is causing me problems because it messes with my operations. I am able to reset the servos by simply restarting Mach 3 (it's not e-stop since I don't even have to do anything to the controller to reset it). This issue seems strange to me since it is not very consistent. I can re-create it by running gcode or manually moving the servos in Mach 3 and turning the Spindle on or off a few times.

I've also noticed that I can recreate this issue turning the motor of my Taig lathe on and off as well.

My workshop is in a room in my house and I have 3 outlets in the room. My assumption is that it is all running on the same phase. I currently have the Taig plugged into it's own outlet while the Controller, PC and Enclosure Light plugged into a power bar into another outlet. I've tried multiple configurations (everything in one powerbar, a few devices plugged into separate outlets) but they all seem to result in the same problem. I've even tried to only have the PC, Controller and Taig Mill running without any lighting. Same issue.

I used to run the mill on a Parallel setup using a lower end computer and didn't have this issue. Ever since I switched to USB, I haven't been able to work on a reliable machine. Please let me know if you need more details. I'm really hoping someone on the forum can help me get back to work.

Best,

Arnaud

Re: POKEYSCNCDB25 Signal Issue when Spindle turned on or off.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 03:08:42 PM »
So the PokeysCNCdb25 is in fact losing communication with the PC. Once the servos stop moving, the PC doesn't see the PokeysCNCdb25 (as though it had been ejected). In order to reset the Pokeys I have to unplug it from the PC to get it working again.

I originally thought that the POUSB would solve my problem, but it only helps it a bit. Are all USB devices this sensitive to EM noise or Spindle wizardry?

>:( ??? :'(
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »
I've been having pretty much the same issue with the PoKeysCNCdB25 and a Huanyang VFD, also on a setup that's beening working fine via parallel port previously.

I finally opened the PoKeys up and discovered that the USB cable shield wasn't connected to the DB25 case, I'm not sure if it's by design or an oversight, but either way hooking the USB shield up to the metal DB25 case seems to have solved the problem.

I tested by just shorting the USB plug's metal shield to the DB25 case, then since it seemed to work I de-soldered the USB cable from the board inside the DB25 shell so I could strip the cable back further and fold the shielding braid back under the plastic insert that retains the cable, ie wedging it between the insert and the metal shell.

I only just got finished putting it back together and haven't tested thoroughly yet, but before the mod the PoKeys crashed 90+% of the time when starting the spindle and so far it's been stable through 20 or so spindle stop/start cycles, so it's looking promising.
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I've managed to keep the problem at bay by moving my set-up into a room that had better wiring, getting ferrite beads for most electrical cords (mill, controller, computer, usb) just to be safe and also installed an aluminum sheet/base inside the mill enclosure to perhaps more properly ground the whole thing. Seems to have worked. I haven't tested extensively thought. I wonder why the DB25 isn't grounded on the Pokeys, perhaps that is the issue. I don't know enough about electrical to comment though.

Please let me know if you run into that problem again, and I'll keep you posted as well. Best!