Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:08:10 AM

Author Topic: Mach4 Random Crash  (Read 3474 times)

Mach4 Random Crash
« on: October 25, 2016, 07:56:03 PM »
Mach has been crashing on me lately with the below message.  Shortly after the message it will blue screen.  Usually happens when machine is sitting idle.  Machine is windows 7 with pokeys56e and hicon integra controller.  Mach version is 4.2.0.3155 (licensed).  Any way to trace this down?
Re: Mach4 Random Crash
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 10:56:23 AM »
This is the Windows 7 desktop manager that is failing.  You might want to do some windows updates and see if anything might be missing to address that issue.  Just a thought.

Russ

Offline DazTheGas

•  778 778
  • DazTheGas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 11:49:38 AM »
This is the Windows 7 desktop manager that is failing

That is correct, I had this many moons ago so so I changed my theme to the basic windows theme without any Aero, this solved it for me.

DazTheGas
New For 2022 - Instagram: dazthegas
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 11:50:37 AM »
Great! thanks for the replies!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2016, 05:32:46 PM »
Update:  after disabling everything I can find including wdm, power management, etc, the crash still happens.  I have attached a screenshot of the bluescreenview results as well as the latest dump.
It only happens with mach running, and it seems to always happen after I remove power from servos, i.e. by estop which disables mach4.  doesnt happen every time, if I try to make it happen it wont.  
Mach closes first.  if I try to click an icon on the desktop it says program has moved or was deleted.... then bsod.
thanks for any help!  big job coming up dont want any mistakes!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »
Just some random thoughts.
Sometimes when I hit the estop (to remove servo power), the monitor goes dark then returns in a few seconds.  I have not figured out how this is possible since there is no direct connection.  No reason the monitor would lose power.  Could interference cause this?  My pc motherboard is in the same cabinet as the servo drives with no shielding.
Or maybe removing power from the servo drives is causing power surge/drop to the pc?  Could this cause windows to crash in this manner?

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2016, 07:21:07 PM »
Just some random thoughts.
Sometimes when I hit the estop (to remove servo power), the monitor goes dark then returns in a few seconds.  I have not figured out how this is possible since there is no direct connection.  No reason the monitor would lose power.  Could interference cause this?  My pc motherboard is in the same cabinet as the servo drives with no shielding.
Or maybe removing power from the servo drives is causing power surge/drop to the pc?  Could this cause windows to crash in this manner?

Absolutely and I suspect this is exactly what your dealing with. If you have a case you can stuff your PC parts in and test I think I would. Noise can be a real pain to eliminate. 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »
Sounds like you might be very close to the AC power limit.  Try to put the monitor on an AC line coming from a different breaker.
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 08:23:54 PM »
Did some rewiring for a test.  Separated the servo power from everything else, power from different breaker.  Immediate difference is that the monitor used to go a bit fuzzy when the servos were powered, now it is clear.  Will do more testing and update.
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 07:04:44 PM »
I am calling this fixed.  Machine has been performing flawlessly.  I went ahead and moved the PC components to my operator console rather than the main cabinet as well as separating the power.  This also cured my touch screen issue that I had thought was due to faulty hardware.  Thanks for the help!