Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:29:38 AM

Author Topic: 5th axis display  (Read 5608 times)

5th axis display
« on: August 05, 2016, 06:24:22 AM »
I'm trying to set up steppers on the A and B axes under Mach3. The 4th axis DRO on the display  only shows the A axis and I can't seem to find out how to switch it to display B or C. I'm sure there must be a way to do this otherwise they would have just labelled it A rather than 4. I know I am going to feel really stupid when one of you tells me how to do this. Many thanks.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: 5th axis display
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 06:55:45 AM »
You are not going to feel stupid at all.

One way you can display the B (or C) axis on the main screen is to use a screen editor and add the B (or C) axis DRO or alternately download and use one of the 6 axis screensets from here; http://www.machsupport.com/software/downloads-updates/screensets/

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 03:45:52 AM »
Thanks, I'll look into that. Meanwhile, I can set some hotkeys to jog and look at the 5th axis on the diagnostic display which is good enough for now. I was just hoping there was a way to see it on the run display.

Perhaps you can help me with something else. I'm new at this and have run into a bit of a snag. In order to initialize the machine, I can see how you can use G28 or Reference to set Mach3 to home. However, if the home position has been lost, then it is  required that you disengage the physical drives after moving manually to home, and then use G28, etc. Is there any way you can set values in the machine coordinate DRO's? As far as I can see, you can't zero the DRO's  or enter values from the keyboard.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:53:26 AM »
Perhaps you can help me with something else. I'm new at this and have run into a bit of a snag. In order to initialize the machine, I can see how you can use G28 or Reference to set Mach3 to home. However, if the home position has been lost, then it is  required that you disengage the physical drives after moving manually to home, and then use G28, etc. Is there any way you can set values in the machine coordinate DRO's? As far as I can see, you can't zero the DRO's  or enter values from the keyboard.

Someone else will have to help with this question as I have never used G28 or any homing routines, sorry.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 04:02:49 AM »
Thanks. I guess my real question is: Is there any way to directly enter values into the machine coordinate DRO's? I can't seem to find any way.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2016, 04:16:40 AM »
Another way to say this is: The first time I hook my machine to Mach3, how do I put in some reasonable values for machine coordinates? Sorry to be a pest, but I'm stumped.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2016, 08:16:22 AM »
The only way to change Machine Coordinates is to home (Ref) the machine.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2016, 01:14:59 PM »
That is what I had concluded and it's not a problem. I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something. Many thanks for your help.

Walt

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2016, 10:56:35 PM »
Is there any way to directly enter values into the machine coordinate DRO's?
Yep.
Members Docs, 'Coordinate Space Guide'
It's all there.

Cheers
Roger