Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:13:31 PM

Author Topic: Bob conections  (Read 4074 times)

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
Bob conections
« on: August 05, 2016, 06:10:02 AM »
Hi to all,
I have purchased a new Bob.

I am not sure where to put the GND's from all the three stepper drivers.

There only appears to be the one GND on the side of the board where stepper drivers are conected.

Are GND all common and conected as if they are one.

Thanks for looking
Bert

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
Re: Bob conections
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:42:11 AM »
Have looked for some time on the net to find out where the GND for the stepper drivers go without result.

I checked on another more basic board found on that board all gnd pins are connected.

So with that in mind, I have conected the three stepper gnd wires to the gnd where the 12-24v can go in..

I am not sure why it has a 12-24 v in,unless its for the 0-10v spindle control

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 03:03:59 PM »
x and y move but grumble real bad. as if steps and acceleration is to fast.have tried all sorts of combinations of speeds
Unable to tune them in,,
Migjht be native units not set to metric
Have read it  may be worth trying a desk top computer rather than a laptop..
I wanted to go the laptop way, so I can do away with all the cables and extra stuff a laptop has built in
Bert

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 05:47:28 PM »
Some laptops work just fine with Mach3 and the parallel port but most do not - I think you have one of those which does not work that well with the PP  :'(

It's for this reason that laptops are not supported for parallel port operation, only for use with an external motion controller.

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
Cheers Tweakie,
It was the Laptop,
I have got the steppers moving and sounding more normal now,,, Just got to go through and setup the rest of the Paramiters and switches etc.
Bert
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 02:32:36 PM »
Moving forward, especially with the lack of parallel ports on newer PCs, I would suggest looking into getting a motion controller of some sort.  Since you already have a breakout board with a parallel port interface, I would suggest the UC100 as it has an excellent plug-in to work directly with Mach3.  I'm not sure about Mach4, though.

Stephen "Highspeed" Kruse

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 02:55:33 PM »
I must have a look, never heard of such a thing, mind you has been a few years since I last had a good look about.

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 03:01:47 PM »
Are so it convirts the old style printer plug to USB.
Would that make it work on my laptop.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
Yes, in a sense.  It is actually more than just a USB to Parallel converter.  It is a true motion controller which means it is specific to CNC interfacing.  It also means that it "off-loads" much of the timing critical processing from the PC to this motion controller, freeing up CPU resources on the PC.

One thing of note: as you move into the newer Operating Systems such as WIN 8 or WIN 10, those operating systems put much more stringent limits to direct hardware access.  Mach3/4 will not be able to communicate directly with the Parallel Port and will need to have a motion controller of some sort (with a compatible plug-in) anyway so this may be something you'll want to do to "future-proof" your system.

But the short answer is that most of the Motion Controller adapters should work with your laptop.  I have the UC100 MC with plugs directly into the parallel port interface on my control box and connects to the PC through the USB port.  Works great.  Your mileage may vary with different MCs as the implementation is different from one manufacturer to another.  It is dependent on both the hardware they provide as well as the plug-in itself.

Hope that helps,

Highspeed

EDIT:  Here a link to the UC100:  http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html  You can also find them on Ebay, Amazon, etc.  Or you can click on the "Distributors" button on that page and find one you prefer.  I think I went with CNC4PC when I ordered mine.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:34:37 PM by Highspeed1964 »

Offline berty

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 03:39:23 PM »
I have had issues with setting up the home switches,, from what I have found it would appear it needs both the usb 5v and the 12-24v hooking up. so will be looking where to find a suitable outlet on the machine