Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 09:12:05 PM

Author Topic: does not get PoKeys57CNC running with Mach3 plugin  (Read 11823 times)

does not get PoKeys57CNC running with Mach3 plugin
« on: July 03, 2016, 04:52:17 PM »
Hi there,

I have a problem to get the motors of my CNC running with Mach3 and PoKeys57CNC.

Here are some informations:

* I am using PoKeys57CNC with four PoStep60-256.
* The PoStep60-256 are connected Motor1/Motor2/Motor3 to the PoSteps
* I have connected the PoKeys and the PoSteps with the PoExtBus. I can modify the PoStep-Settings via PoKeys57CNC
* My PC is running Windows10 32 Bit.
* When I connect a PoStep to the PC with an USB-Cable it is possible to get the connected motor running.

* I have installed the PoKeys Mach3 Plugin.
* I can configure PoKeys57CNC with the Pokeys Software OR the plugin without problems.

What I did:

fist I activated the motors in Ports&Pins

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=e5b65d-1467578398.jpg

(Additional info: it doesn't matter if I enter some Dir/Step Pins in the accordings fields, it doesn't work in any case)

In motor tuning I entered some first data as a beginning of tuning:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=ca3c0f-1467578604.jpg

In the Pokeys plugin first I inverted the emergency stop input because this is a test setup without an emergency button installed

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=3f614d-1467578750.jpg

I recognize a difference to the PoBlog article which describes the Mach3-PoKeys-Connection: I cannot choose a pulse engine configuration, even when I only enable two motors in Ports&Pins.

According to the blog article I should now be able to see the Dir/Step pin configuration in "PoKeys mapping". But I don't!! I only get four "External PH IO" pins set:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/show.php?file=4a30d5-1467579148.jpg

So I am really frustrated at this point because the PoBlog-Article does not really work für PoKeys57CNC... Maybe someone have some hints for me.

Best regards,

Holger
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:08:10 PM by drillmaster »
Re: does not get PoKeys57CNC running with Mach3 plugin
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 01:33:22 AM »
BTW: how can I insert images? I have put the link in the IMG-Tags but the pictures are not shown...

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:58:12 AM »
what I found I stuffed up for a start by trying to set stuff first. what I ended up doing was resetting the pokeys and mach3.

then I powered everything up with everything connected then loaded up the pokeys software it run the update of the firmware then i went into the pokeys setting set it to 3ch with extended IO did the limits and homes steps per and that stuff.

then when I loaded up Mach3 I opened up the pokeys settings and set everything it was all there I just had to map it correctly.

you don't set anything on the pokeys dialog page at all when you first set it up you let it do it it self, I know this sounds wrong but it worked onces everything was self set up I was able to change what needed changed and yes they need to do some more instructions for setting up the 57cnc

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:40 AM »
1. No pins and ports should be setup in Mach3 Port&Pins dialog
2. The PoKeys57CNC must be used with 'External 4ch with IO' option. We fixed that to avoid confusion.
3. With default settings, PoKeys57CNC should run after a Mach3 restart. No need to change anything in Mach3.

Make sure that you update to the latest firmware and use the latest Mach3 and PoKeys plugin for Mach3.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 02:53:47 AM »
you still need to put this on paper NeoTO, I know you boys are flat out with all the good stuff you boys do it would help everyone else to M4 and Auggie is more stable then like everyone else you can drop M3
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 03:20:53 AM »
what I found I stuffed up for a start by trying to set stuff first. what I ended up doing was resetting the pokeys and mach3.
What did you do to reset Mach3 & Pokeys? What config-file must be deleted?

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 03:37:25 AM »
reinstall M3 and uninstalled the pokeys software of the top of my head can't rember it was xmas time when I did it.

just connect everything up power up then install the software don't set anything in M3 just don't start M3 to you have movement in the pokeys pulse engine, let it do the work for you it's a crazy arise controller and it set's it self, I still don't know what pin does what but it work very well.
the only pin I had to set was the pwm pin.

once I realized what to do it was 5 mins from set up to running code, I hope all other controller makers do the same thing it make's life very easy just having to wire up and install software 
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 02:15:13 AM »
1. No pins and ports should be setup in Mach3 Port&Pins dialog
2. The PoKeys57CNC must be used with 'External 4ch with IO' option. We fixed that to avoid confusion.
3. With default settings, PoKeys57CNC should run after a Mach3 restart. No need to change anything in Mach3.

Make sure that you update to the latest firmware and use the latest Mach3 and PoKeys plugin for Mach3.
Hi NeoTO,

the complete system is up to date.

What I did yesterday:

1. Uninstall M3 and Pokeys software and reinstall it.
2. Setup all motors in PoStep via USB. The motors are running, when I start them with the PoStep software.

3. with the Pokeys tool I enable the pulse engine.
4. I invert the emergency input polarity because in my test scenario I don't use an emergency switch.
5. I set the Pulse generator options to "external", 4 channels (because of 4 motors), Extended IO
6. after this setup I lock the settings and save the configuration

In the fresh installed M3 I followed the PoScope tutorial for setup M3: http://blog.poscope.com/mach3-tutorial-first-steps/ and http://blog.poscope.com/mach3-setup-tutorial-first-movements/
7 . before I did this I had to activate the four motors in Ports&Pins because wihout this it is not possible to setup the motor tuning (that information is missing in the tutorial)
8. I put the kernel speed to 100kHz. I had to do this because otherwise it is not possible to set the motors to higher speed in motor tuning

« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 02:25:19 AM by drillmaster »

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 02:21:12 AM »
that's it drillmaster now when you go into the pokeys config in M3 it should all be there
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:53:47 AM »
It still does not work...

I would like to mention three things:

1. there is a red LED switched on permanently. I think this is a signal that the PoKeys is working. Unfortunately there is no explanation in the user manual.
2. the third LED is flashing. I do not know what this means because of missing manual information...
3. After setup the pulse engine in the PoKeys software (and saved it), I switch to M3 and setup PoKeys with the plugin and go back to the PoKeys software it seems that Pokeys have forgotten my former setting. The pulse engine is disabled...

You can see this behaviour here: https://youtu.be/AZIXlvm12y0
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 03:07:15 AM by drillmaster »