Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:37:08 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys57CNC & Mach4, spindle question  (Read 18001 times)

Pokeys57CNC & Mach4, spindle question
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:35:39 PM »
Hello

I am retrofitting a CNC lathe and run into a little problem.
I have a 0.37kW 3P motor that is driven by a Schneider VFD. This VFD takes 0-10V to adjust the freq of the drive. The pokeys57CNC have a 0-10V output, and i would like to use this for spindle speed control. However i am having a hard time figuring out what i need to do in mach4/pokeys software to make this work.

I appreciate all help!

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Pokeys57CNC & Mach4, spindle question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 02:27:06 PM »
All configuration is done in PoKeys plugin for Mach4.
The 0-10V output is driven as PWM output on pin 17 - Configure PWM frequency of 10 kHz in the plugin settings, then select pin 17 as the spindle speed output (all settings are found under the Misc.. tab).
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »
Thanks NeoTo this worked like a charm.
But i am faced with a new problem. After i Upgraded to the new firmware (Release:08.01.2016) the load on pokeys57cnc is idling at approximately 80-90%. Funny thing is when i disable pulse engine in Mach4 pokeys plugin, the load decreases to 40-50%. When loaded to 80-90% it causes mach 4 to behave strangely, i get false limit-switch signals etc.
I did not have this problem before i upgraded the firmware.

I am really happy with the motion controller, it was really simple to setup for my first CNC build and i think you guys do a great job!
Again thanks NeoTo for you help!

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 09:04:25 AM »
I am setting up a lathe with the Pokey57CNC. What is the pin number for the relays? I want to use a relay to turn the VFD on.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 11:46:11 PM »
The relays on the PoKeys57CNC are not mapped to any specific PoKeys pin. Instead, the relays are accessible as a part of the PoKeys Pulse engine ('PoKeys <serial> PE' device in Mach4).

Matevž, PoLabs
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 06:56:58 AM »
I found thaat.  For the record here if anyone else needs this- in Mach config  under output pins you select the pokeyPE device. Then the signal name will offer the relays or SSR as the device.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
I am now working on the spindle encoder for threading in Mach4. I am looking at options for the spindle encoder. Is it necessary to be a quadrature encoder, or can a simple pulse train. like from a gear tooth sensor reading a gear? How many pulses per rev  are needed for good threading? I will also have an index pulse of a single pulse per rev.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 12:37:35 AM »
You either have encoder+index or index only.

Using the encoder, PoKeys will track both the speed and position of the spindle, compensating for position errors due to spindle speed variations. Index is still required.

Without encoder, one index per rotation can also be employed for threading. Multiple pulses per rotation are not supported. If you have a gear tooth, it is simple to convert it to an encoder - just position two sensors offset for less than half of the tooth width and feed the signals from the sensors back to PoKeys as encoder signals.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
Ok, not to bring up an old thread, but have a question. Just recieved my Pokeys57CNC, but haven't hooked it up. Was using a 57E before.

For wiring the spindle I use pin 17 and GND to adjust the speed of the VFD. Then which pins do I use to turn on CW and Turn on CCW? And how is that setup in Mach? Do I have to map the outputs like in the 57E?

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 01:33:08 AM »
You can use any free pin you want or relays. See the pinout diagram for PoKeys57CNC.
Otherwise, the procedure is the same, so yes, you have to map them as with 57E.