Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:02:04 PM

Author Topic: Edit post for xy position move then z  (Read 5078 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Edit post for xy position move then z
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 04:25:32 PM »
OH I think you will care as the Cam has NO idea where those clamps are. Each job they could be in a different XY point and Z height THAT is what Z rapid clearance setting is all about . It is a point where you do not need to be concered about the clamp heights. As it should clear any clamps on the table.

Your first responce was it will not matter because you always start over the part . But then you changed your mind talking about a problem hitting clamps.

Do you ALWAYS refhome the machine before you start work ? If you don't then you have NO idea where G53 Z-1 will take you .

BUT to each his own , I am glad you got it sorted the way you wanted.

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 04:29:26 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2015, 05:18:34 PM »
Ok let me try to clear it up.....

Say i get done running the first tool.  I have my part clamped down and the clamps are thicker than .1

I jog my spindle off the part so i can change tools.  Then load program for next toolpath.

If i had it the way it was it would start by going to z.1 then xy which brings those clamps into play.  Of course i could program the safe z to 1.0 or something higher than the clamps but then i would waste time on g1z- moves.

I always have my machine referenced when i start so the g53 line will not be a problem.

So the way i have it setup now no matter where i am it will go to z home position and then rapid to xy zero THEN rapid to safe z which would be z.1 and feed down from there.

Hope that clears up what i was thinking.

Thanks for your help.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2015, 06:22:33 PM »
That value of Z.1 is a variable that you  set from your Cam, it is not written in stone (;-)  Z rapid height or Safe Z to some is simple teh height above the work that it is safe to rapid anywhere on the table safely.

Not picking on you,  as you are doing a fine job , (;-) I did not know if you understood Z rapid height/SafeZ .

(;-) TP
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2015, 11:08:35 PM »
Thats the way it should work but my cam is not doing that right.  I have safe z set to 1.5 for example and then z to start at .1  it ignores the .1 and puts all the retract z moves during the program to z.1 which is a big waste of time because it has to feed from there all the way down.  So at any rate i decided to do it this way instead.

But you are right about sitting that up in cam.  must be a bug or something with artcam