Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:22:02 PM

Author Topic: Pokeys57U Console Build with questions  (Read 7042 times)

Pokeys57U Console Build with questions
« on: November 11, 2015, 01:37:15 PM »
I have been working on building a console for a router project I have going on.

I had salvaged a number of push buttons from machines over the years and wanted to put them to use.

This is what I came up with. Most of it was designed as I dug threw my parts bin. These included a 10" touchscreen, a metal frame from a silk screen and some sheet aluminum from a machine cover panel.

I still have to add a keyboard of some kind, but haven't found the right one yet.

Now, My questions.

I have a number of physical buttons that recreate button functions in mach. Jogging buttons are set up in the pokeys config to trigger the appropriate jog button, however, they require 2 presses to function properly. One press starts the jog and the second press stops the jog. In single step mode set to 0.001, I get 0.002 of movement with one press. X, Y and Z zero buttons function properly, but those signals are inverted to the rest of the buttons. These are the things that are confusing me. All switches are wired NO. Common is gnd on the pokeys and the other side of the switch goes directly to the pokey input.

I have thought of assigning all the inputs to user LED's and processing everything with a brain, but that is alot of work for what would be a straight forward configuration using the pokeys software.

The MPG section and axis selector as well as resolution selector is assigned to OEM inputs in mach3 inputs section and are processed by a brain. This section is working well, and now im working on getting the brain to switch back to the button jog when the mpg axis selector is in the off position.

The last one that is bugging me is the limit override button. It is a latching button and requires 2 pushes to go on/off. Meaning push/lock activates the override. pushing again to unlock does nothing, and another lock cycle will turn the override off. This is one of 8 buttons on the console that have lights to reflect the status of the function.

-Adam

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Pokeys57U Console Build with questions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 03:21:31 AM »
Hi, Adam

Have you considered using PoKeys plugin for Mach3?
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:04:41 PM »
Hi, Adam

Have you considered using PoKeys plugin for Mach3?

NeoTo,

What do you mean? I already have the pokeys plugin installed and enabled.

-Adam

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »
First, let me emphasize that PoKeys configuration software is mainly for testing only. All functions have to be configured in PoKeys Mach3 plugin to work correctly.

...appropriate jog button, however, they require 2 presses to function properly....
Which OEM buttons did you assign those inputs?

The inverted buttons can be fixed by selecting the 'Invert' option in the mapping page. By default, PoKeys detects all inputs as logical 1. When the switch is pressed, the pin is tied to GND and PoKeys reads logical 0.

Regarding MPG - I would strongly suggest you to let PoKeys handle the MPG jogging. The motion will be much smoother.
In order to do it, configure the encoder with your MPG signals, map it to the MPG1 DRO and click on 'Let PoKeys handle the MPG jogging'.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 04:52:06 PM »
First, let me emphasize that PoKeys configuration software is mainly for testing only. All functions have to be configured in PoKeys Mach3 plugin to work correctly.

...appropriate jog button, however, they require 2 presses to function properly....
Which OEM buttons did you assign those inputs?

The inverted buttons can be fixed by selecting the 'Invert' option in the mapping page. By default, PoKeys detects all inputs as logical 1. When the switch is pressed, the pin is tied to GND and PoKeys reads logical 0.

Regarding MPG - I would strongly suggest you to let PoKeys handle the MPG jogging. The motion will be much smoother.
In order to do it, configure the encoder with your MPG signals, map it to the MPG1 DRO and click on 'Let PoKeys handle the MPG jogging'.

I went threw and re set up all mu buttons one by one. I had done most of them at the same time before. I tested each one as I went to make sure I was getting the action I wanted. Everything is working great now with the proper inversion as needed.

I looked into the "Let PoKeys handle the MPG jogging" however after reading the document here: https://www.poscope.com/index.php?route=product/product/download&download_id=123&product_id=90, I found I do not have this option available to check. It is not even on the screen as the guide shows.

I  happened to open the configure screen when the usb cable is not connected, and the option showed up. I am running 3.1.54a and will be updating to the latest tonight, I will see if that makes any difference when connected.

-Adam

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:25:39 AM »
I apologize - I thought you are using PoKeys Pulse engine also. Namely, this option is available only if PoKeys is used as external motion controller.
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »
Nice console!! I have one too that works well, but I have issues with the MPG and jogging as well. My jogging works OK , but would love to be able to control increment value with the MPG. Does your brain handle this, and if so, would you be willing to share that part of it?