Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:55:51 AM

Author Topic: ehternet smoothstepper/C25 auto zero wiring setup?  (Read 26509 times)

Re: ehternet smoothstepper/C25 auto zero wiring setup?
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2015, 03:35:49 AM »
Andy at warp9 responded to my post saying that all four mounting holes of the ESS are isolated from ground (I was concerned that you may have used metal risers)... But did state that the Ethernet sheild is grounded... So if you use a cat 6 cable (or like I do a fly lead with a chassis / bulkhead connector on the end of it so I can just connect all my wiring to the outside of my control box)... The ESS will form a ground with the casing or PC and this may create a ground loop

... I say may as these things can be occasional an problematic.

Like rf noise

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”

Offline dude1

•  1,253 1,253
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2015, 03:36:45 AM »
yer its easier than using a TV, when I can afford to get a scope I will be able to find the problem.

the computer needs isolated from the machine or a ground loop will occur just makes sure it's galvanically isolated cable, high quality ones are single ended
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 03:40:28 AM by blockhead »
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2015, 09:52:42 AM »
Thanks again for the all the help.

when I can afford to get a scope I will be able to find the problem.
I do have a scope that I bought for tracking down a problem I had with a fuel injection/ignition system I built a few years back. How would I use the scope to track down rf problems?
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2015, 04:51:13 PM »
As I suspected...I got up this morning to check to see if the auto zero was still working...it is not. So I replaced all the leads from the C25 with shielded wire, ran an earth lead from the chassis to the router table put it all back together and it works again...for the moment. My thinking on the ground from the chassis to the router table is that was the only variable between last night and this morning was when I tested last night the chassis was sitting on the router table (aluminum) so, in theory, the table was grounded to the chassis. If there is a good reason not to do this please let me know.
Thanks again.