Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:06:06 AM

Author Topic: pocketing and profiling  (Read 2116 times)

pocketing and profiling
« on: October 17, 2015, 01:34:59 PM »
Hello, going to try my hand at inlay done on my cheap china mill.  first,  just doing a 1" circle, make a pocket, simple enough, then a profile to fit into the pocket, here's where it all goes wrong, it's either to big or to small to fit.  now I can change the size of the circle, I'm sure, but that wont work on an imported design, which is where I'm heading.  need to make one fit in the other with a perfect fit.  I have been able to get it so both are exactly the same size, but they wont fit together without some clearance, just don't know how to get the clearance!

Thanks for any help

Re: pocketing and profiling
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:20:45 PM »
What software are you using?

Couple of things (some of this you may know, but as I don't know your experience level, please accept my apologies in advance if this is of no help)

Firstly check you have the right tool diameter set within your software... Sometimes it's even better to cut a slot and measure the slot width so as to calibrate your tool a little more closely.

Next check that you are using the right tool offset... You'll get an inside, centreline and outside offset

So for a perfect 1" circle insert you want a recess / pocket with an inside edge offset, then when you cut the insert, you want an outside edge offset, that way the cutter will cut up to the 1" line for the pocket and the same for the insert.

Hope it helps

Rob
Rob

Albert Einstein ― “If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »
Thanks for the reply Bob,

I use Bobcad software, I am a little new to this but have figured out most everything I was doing wrong and have been getting good results for some small parts I have made. I do have the correct tool dia, I can see in my setup, I use the g41 and g42 for offset, it does work( once I figured out the lead in and out part) and I do get an exact dia pocket, and profile, problem is a 1" dowel will not fit into a 1" hole without some clearance, I can hammer it home and it goes, but if I try that with delicate inlay it will just break.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 03:41:05 PM »
Sorry Rob!