Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:15:40 AM

Author Topic: Help with E-stop switch is not properly configured  (Read 9229 times)

Help with E-stop switch is not properly configured
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:44:52 PM »
Hi
I keep getting the ‘E-stop condition!’  message when I enable the system. Reading the plugin setup document I understand this means that the E-stop switch is not properly configured. Now I have not yet added an E-Stop switch I have one but not yet wired up mainly because I do not know how to connect it. I can see the little red socket that is the dedicated  E-stop connector  but do not know where to buy a plug to fit (in the uk ) what type of input it is  nor how to wire it up there is no diagram in the  57CNC document. I see that there is also  two E-Stop pins on the pendant connector can I just connect the Estop button  between theses two ?  I see they are 3.3v not 5v so am reluctant to just try. I had decided to get a pendant just not yet. Is there a way to run without an E-Stop ? Can I disable anything could not find any data in the documentation but I may have missed it. Can anyone please offer some advice.

Alan

I have attached the log mach4 log file
Re: Help with E-stop switch is not properly configured
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 07:51:08 AM »
Ok, so I plugged a ribbon cable into the pendant connector and connected pins 4 and 6 across it. That did not make any difference still getting an E stop condition. Still waiting for some help here and getting quite frustrated.

Alan
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2015, 10:19:36 AM »
getting nowhere real fast so wondered if it was the way I had wired up the motors. My motor drivers are M335 looking through the posts all I found was this thread http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,23164.msg162535.html#msg162535 for M425. So I tried rewiring the motor drivers as +5v to Ena+ Dir+ and Pulse+ and then Pokeys connectors pin1 /AxEnable to M425 ENA-  pin3(dir) to M335 DIR- and pin5(step) to M335 PUL-.  Still no joy see attached log. Help required please. By the way little disappointed with the documentation. No mention in the setup or pulse engine docs about the default output values for step and dir is it active high or low or what !! Strongly suggest that future documentation contains examples of connecting steppers and relating that to the setup.

Alan
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 01:26:00 PM »
Saga still continues. I checked the limit switch wring and found a broken connection to axis2. So fixed that and tried again. Still no joy go message

2015-09-27 18:20:46.382 - Signal id 1120, (Machine Enabled), changed from LOW to HIGH.
2015-09-27 18:20:46.383 - API: mcCntlEnable(true) called.
2015-09-27 18:20:46.383 - API: mcCntlEnable(true) E-Stop is asserted!  Aborting.

Do not know what is connected to signal 1120 any ideas anyone?

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 11:44:01 PM »
Hi, Alan

Check the following:
- do you have the latest version of Mach4 and PoKeys plugins?
- open the Diagnostic > PoKeys plugin and observe the status boxes for limit inputs. Are there any green boxes (activated switch)?
- switch to Machine diagnostics tab and observe the I/O statuses. Is there any switch marked as activated?
- did you enable Pendant option in the wizard when adding the device? If yes, open the pendant settings, scroll to the bottom of the list and check the status in the 'G' column for the 'Emergency switch'. Does this field have the green background? If yes, check the 'Inv' option for that line.

Regarding the E-stop connection - this is copy-paste from the manual (available at http://www.poscope.com/PoKeys57CNC):

Note: E-stop switch can be connected either to dedicated E-stop connector (red 4-pin connector) or
to pendant connector (a combination of both is also allowed since both are wired in series).
a)  E-stop switch is connected to dedicated 4-pin E-stop connector between pins 2 and 3.
Jumper 'NeST' must be removed and inserted into the pendant connector between pins 4
and 6
b)  E-stop switch is connected to pendant connector (between pins 4 and 6). Jumper 'NeST' must
be present
c)  Two E-stop switches are connected - one to dedicated 4-pin E-stop connector (betwen pins 2
and 3) and one to pendant connector (between pins 4 and 6).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 11:50:09 PM by NeoTO »
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »
I have the mach4 build 2703 and latest plugin running on windows 10 home edition. Have attached screenshots for configuration and pendant. Do not know what the middle buttons being green in config means. Have connected my E-Stop across pins 4 and 6 of pendant and disabled all other pendant functionality. Would also appreciate confirmation of wiring for M335 controllers. (I previously had them wired and working under linux-cnc but decided to switch to mach4. Wiring given for M425 as mentioned earlier was different that that I originally used so now very unsure.

Thanks Alan

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »
You have two issues:
1. Limit+ switches are all activated. Check the configured polarity.
2. Take a look at the manuals that are attached to the plugin in the zip file. The pendant document describes the states of the pendant signals. You should click on the 'Inv.' column of the 'Emergency switch' row to invert this signal.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 04:12:26 AM »
OK I am confused here and obviously misunderstand what is going on  ???. My machine has two microswitches on each of the x,y,z axes representing the limit of travel along each axis, which are connected and trigger correctly (I thought) when pressed. (the two outer indicators on each axis in the pokeys diagnostics display turn green when the switches are triggered.)  I thought that this was all I needed and that these were the limit+ and limit- . How does this third input the one in the middle you point out is triggered relate to those?  Do I have to tie together the home and limit- switches?

Thanks for your patience
Alan.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 10:19:27 AM »
PoKeys devices support 3 switches per axis. The number of switches and its configuration is configured in the plugin settings.

1. Make sure that you have the 'Automatically map Mach4 signals' UNCHECKED in PoKeys plugin settings
2. Check what you have configured for the home, limit+ and limit- switches in Mach4 Inputs dialog (see attached images). The unused switches should be marked with 'Mapping disabled'. In the configuration below, all switches are enabled and used separately.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Hi again,
Regarding the limit switches the penny just dropped !!  I have only been using the ribbon cable connected to the idc socket on the board so just using home and axis- inputs. The axis+ inputs in the screw terminals on the side were not connected at all  :-[.
I appreciate that you want to support up to 3 inputs on 8 motors but all I want is to use the X,Y,Z and A axes (although I am thinking of having a setup that allows me to swap between a spindle and  a 3D print head so would need another motor for the filament drive) is there a way of configuring the board so that I can use home axis- and axis+ inputs for X,Y,Z and A just through the ribbon cable and not use the screw terminals on the side at all. It would be much cleaner for me and would cut down the spaghetti wiring. I have built a small circuit board with a idc connector and terminals for home axis+ and axis- . Using this board would allow me just to have a single idc ribbon connecting the 57CNC board to my limit switches and make a much neater layout.

Thanks

Alan