Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:40:01 AM

Author Topic: select increment per pulse MPG  (Read 8148 times)

select increment per pulse MPG
« on: August 17, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
In step/velocity mode, should it be possible to set the step value with the incremental step?  Right now in this mode my mpg step is some random number, i.e. .027" per pulse.  On the pro machines it is equal to the incremental selection and the velocity is also proportional to this setting.  Is this a Mach3 thing that isn't going to get better, or a Pokeys thing?
If it is something that cannot be solved, what is the best calibration settings to get the lowest step/pulse possible.
Joe

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: select increment per pulse MPG
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 12:01:01 AM »
How do you have the MPG configured? Is PoKeys handling the MPG jogging or Mach3 (option 'Let PoKeys handle MPG jogging' in the plugin settings)? Are you using LPT port or PoKeys for pulse generation? What MPG do you have? What is configured for MPG pulses per unit in MPG config (calib) in Mach3?
PoKeys uses current value of the Mach3's step size register.
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:19 AM »
I cannot find the let pokeys handle jogging option.
MPG is wired to pokeys 56e and configured in the plugin, not in mach.
It is a 4x encoder that I am only using a and b on.  4x is unchecked in plugin.
Says 1 count per detent
130 max speed
67 switchover.

I just checked ports and pins and mpg 1 is enabled, 1 count per unit, 130 velocity.  Is the issue here?

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 11:02:10 AM »
Please export your Mach3 PoKeys plugin settings (there is Import/Export tab in the end) and send me the file to matevz[at}poscope{dot]com
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:30 PM »
ok, file attached.
Some searching and I find the "let pokeys handle jogging" is only available if pulse engine is enabled.  I tried that and it messed with some of my output leds (30, 31, 37 - these pins for some reason always tend to act a little unpredictable ) and the step inc button did not affect jogging.  I did find if I change the counts per unit in mach ports & pins (without pokeys mpg jogging enabled) I can change the resolution, but it would be nice if the step inc button were tied to this.  Either way I call it progress.

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:06:22 PM »
Check the 'Count' DRO in the Mach3 main window under 'Settings' tab. How does this value increment when the MPG is rotated?
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
With mach handling mpg, it is one count per step of mpg.  With pokeys it depends on the counts per unit setting in mach.  If it is set on 10, it steps 10.  100 steps 100 etc, but the actual movement is like .050 per step.
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:04 PM »
I thought I had it figured out.  I set the mpg to use dro 1001, then used brains to multiply this dro by the jog increment and output to dro 101 (mpg count).  This gives me the step motion I am looking for, but it jumps when changing jog increment.  Any ideas around this?
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 08:52:50 PM »
I have a workaround.
Pokeys outputs the mpg to a user dro, and the increment button to a user led.
Brains multiply the dro as above, and use the increment button to set another userled (if mpg and userled 1100, then userled 1200)
Macropump triggered on the 1200 cycles the jog mode to continous, increments the jog inc button, jog mode back to mpg, clear led 1200.
A bit like rube goldberg, but it works!
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 01:58:28 AM »
Hi, Any chance of getting a copy of the brain and macropump code you used?