Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:59:10 AM

Author Topic: CNC will not go home  (Read 7290 times)

CNC will not go home
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:28:40 AM »
I'll start this out by saying I'm completely new to Mach3 and CNC routing. I have not changed too many things from the default when I started Mach3 up other than my motor settings (done automatically), my limit switches for home (done automatically), and configuring my ports and pins (I hope correctly). So, I have full "jogging movement" and have attempted to set up my home position by the limit switches. I press "Ref all Home" button but get no motor movement. They sound like they engage to move, but no movement happens. I searched the problem online and saw something about "debounce" (which I know nothing about). I changed my debounce to 1000 and got some results. First my Z axis moved the wrong direction, down instead of up. My X and Y axis both moved the right direction, but only about an inch then stopped. So I increased the debounce to 2000 and got the exact same result. Now I'm stuck and hoping someone else has any ideas they may help. Thanks.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: CNC will not go home
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:35 AM »
Are you getting a limit switch error message?
Try setting the debounce to 10,000.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 01:09:51 PM »
ARE yo SURE you have teh HOME function setup ?? Home and Limits are 2 different things to set up. It sounds as if you have limits setup but NOT homing.

IS this a LPT version or outside controller version ??

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »
To ger21: Now that you mention it, I think with no debounce I got a limit switch error although I can't recall at the moment what it was. I will re-check next time I'm at the machine.

To BR549: I did the auto switch assignment  by: picking X axis home, manipulating the switch, it found the pin and port and assigned it. I did this for the Y and Z as well. I do not have soft limits set at the moment (or at least turned on. I attempted to set limits before I realized I was doing things completely wrong). Is there something else I need to turn on to make it Home? I'm not sure what you mean by LPT version vs outside.

Thank you both for your help. I will look at all your suggestions once I'm able to get to my machine and get back to you with results. Again, Thanks.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:55 PM »
To verify it is set up correctly trip a switch and see IF the correct LED turns on in the diagnostic page. In your case a tripped switch should turn on teh axis LIMIT led and teh axis HOME led at teh same time.

The LPT question referrs to if you are using teh LPT port to run teh machine OR have an outside controller like a SmoothStepper.  IT can make a HUGE difference to the answer you need.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:05:20 PM »
So ger21: I went to 10000 on the debounce and that certainly helped. Only the X axis did exactly what it was supposed to do, but it's a start. The Y and Z went further but not completely to the switches. They did act like they went to the switches though; they stopped then backed off. Do I go further on the debounce? What does that mean to go that high? I had read somewhere that 2000 should be the max and going too high would slow down the machine.

BR549: I use a LPT port to control my machine. Only my Home LED lights when activating the switch. This may be an elementary question but, what is "teh"?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
It is just the word THE. My brain has a crossed wire some where it thinks a H is an E and an E is an H.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:01:38 PM »
What does that mean to go that high?

You have a serious noise issue, that you need to fix if you want to use homing reliably.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 08:01:09 PM »
Thanks ger21. Any suggestions? What should I be looking at? Since I didn't build the machine I'm not sure where to start looking.