Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:07:03 AM

Author Topic: Error reported by SS.  (Read 5062 times)

Error reported by SS.
« on: July 31, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
I recently got an Ethernet Smooth Stepper running with Mach 3 and everything is pretty much perfect!... except this one little thing that is driving me nuts.

If I click the Stop button on the Mach 3 screen during a program, the machine stops exactly as it's supposed to - movement ceases, spindle stops and pulls up in Z.  Then a little screen pops up with this message: "Error reported by SS. Halting. Flags register: 80000049."

After that, it's over.  Everything has to be shut down and restarted and will work just fine until I hit Stop again.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Error reported by SS.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:18:16 AM »
Hi Robert,

Hitting Stop causes an immediate termination of program execution which looses exact machine position so it is always best to use Feed-Hold (which stops the machine in a controlled manner) then, when all movement has ceased, you can hit Stop.

Tweakie.
PEACE
Re: Error reported by SS.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 10:33:42 PM »
Hi Tweakie,

Thanks for your response.

I'm wondering if it's a random thing because I actually did click on the feed hold prior to clicking the stop button.  Yesterday I ran several programs and stopped them mid-program with no issues - but I did not click the feed hold at all.

What I'm doing is probably not "best practice".  I've got some programs that will run 4 identical parts but sometimes I only want to run 1 or 2.  So I just stop the program after the desired number are cut instead of letting the router cut air for a few extra minutes.  Is there a recommended method for doing something like this without using the stop button?

Thanks,

Robert