Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:29:02 PM

Author Topic: Smoothstepper firmware updates  (Read 4427 times)

Smoothstepper firmware updates
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:33:59 AM »
I was reading somewhere that the smoothstepper updates the firmware as needed. Is this true and if so how does this work with a non enternet connected pc? I am researching motion controllers to upgrade my system but need to make sure any I even concider can be installed once by pulling the pc from the machine and taking it to a remote location to install the software then reinstalling it in the machine. Any future updates would have to be done thru a different pc and files transferred via flash drive, unless there aren't done very often. Then I can pull the pc again.  Any other option I should be looking at? They must support lathe threading.
Thanks
Don

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Smoothstepper firmware updates
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »
You do not need to connect the PC to the internet. You just download the new SmoothStepper plug-in when it is released. Delete the old plug-in from the C:\mach3\plugins folder and install the new plug-in. The firmware is part of the plug-in so the next time Mach connects to the SmoothStepper the new firmware is used there is nothing you have to do to update it.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Re: Smoothstepper firmware updates
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
That answers that. Thanks Jeff
Don