Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:41:03 AM

Author Topic: Pc requirements  (Read 3367 times)

Pc requirements
« on: January 20, 2015, 07:13:27 PM »
I can't find this anywhere, so I figured I'd ask here. My laptop crapped out and I am looking to replace it. Since I can't stand windows 8 I am looking at refurbished units with win7 pro. What are the requirements for reliably running mach4 thru a motion controller. I currently run mach3 but would like the option to upgrade later without replacing the pc.
Thanks
Don
Re: Pc requirements
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
From the MachSupport web site:

Mach4 Recommended Requirements:
PREFERRED: 32 or 64-bit Laptop or Desktop – Using an External Motion Controller

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8
    An appropriate external motion controller
    Mach4 Plugin for the selected Motion Controller
    2Ghz CPU
    1GB RAM
    Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)

*Use of Parallel Port for machine control only with desktop style computers with 32-bit versions of windows 7 and below.
32-bit Desktop – Parallel Port Recommended Requirements

32-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    Mach4 Parallel Port Legacy Plugin (cost applicable)
    2Ghz CPU
    1GB RAM
    Non-integrated Video Card with 256MB RAM(Large G-code files, especially 3D files will require a video card with 512MB RAM or higher)
Steve Stallings
www.PMDX.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 07:33:15 PM »
Thanks I looked all over for that on their site.
Don
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 08:15:51 AM »
I have two pc's that I could use with mach4.  Win xp on one and win 7 on the other.  Both have parallel ports and I know I need the plug in for legacy p ports.  Both machines use half height slots and integrated video.  The requirements listed above say "non-integrated video card". Is that an absolute requirement, or can I use the integrated video to begin with.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
Hi Guys,
I use an Atom based single board computer and its video is built right into the CPU chip. It is a very low CPU power device and the integrated
video means that it falls WELL short of the recommendation but it runs Mach4 just fine.

It really does struggle if you load large Gcode files, it can take an age before it generates a toolpath picture but once it does it runs the code
fine. I have a licenced copy of Mach4 on my laptop as well, its an i7 machine with 16G of RAM. I have used it to run my machine but aside from
loading big files way way faster it makes absolutely no difference to my machine. My laptop has all sorts of programs loaded including CAD/CAM
which really need the extra grunt but I don't like running my machine with it, if any one of those programs runs or decides it wants an update
or similar my machine falters or stops.

The wee Atom doesn't have any programs loaded I don't absolutely need, it doesn't have an internet connection or networking enabled and
consequently Mach doesn't get interrupted which is exactly what I want.

Craig
'I enjoy sex at 73.....I live at 71 so its not too far to walk.'

Offline smurph

•  1,544 1,544
  • "That there... that's an RV."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 08:31:01 PM »
My D2700MUD Atom board is running Mach 4 just fine (1.8Ghz no math co-proc. lower than a Celeron!!!) It is the most lowly thing we have to test against and also has the crappiest video imaginable. 

As Craig mentions, the PC you need depends on what you want to do with it.  450MB 3D router file?  Better not use an Atom then.  :)  Or if you do, be prepared to wait.  But regular milling machine type files are no problem. 

Steve