Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:22:03 AM

Author Topic: Home/Limit/E-Stop...Out of Pins need Help  (Read 7158 times)

Home/Limit/E-Stop...Out of Pins need Help
« on: January 12, 2015, 06:19:37 PM »
I am brand new to CNC.  Have spent over a week trying to wire in home/lmit/E-stop switches and am in Technology Hell... 
     I have a 3-axis CNC router with two motors on the '"Y", (both a "Y" & an "A").  The motor control board is a GeckoDrive G540 that only has 4 inputs for switches.  I have installed two limit switches on the "Z" axis (one for "+" limit and one for "-" limit,   and want one of them to also serve as a home switch.  The same for the "X" axis.  I have installed One switch at the center of the gantry for the "Y" axis with an adjustable stop at both the positive and negative end of the run and also want that to serve as a home switch for that motor.   The same for the "A" axis motor on the other side of the gantry with one switch installed at the center of the gantry on that side.  That is a total of 6 physical limit switches.  I also have an E-stop button to hook up.
     My problem  is that the Gecko only has places for a total of 4 inputs pins for switches. 
     Can I share multiple switches on the same Pin #?   It so, which switches would you recommend sharing a pin?  If not how do I go about getting the limit swathes and E-stop button to work.  It is extremely frustrating that it is a such a nightmare to get simple switches set up...   Any help would be sincerely appreciated.  Thanks

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
Re: Home/Limit/E-Stop...Out of Pins need Help
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 05:22:12 AM »
here:

http://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

is a simple wiring diagram, witch should be selv explaining.

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.

Offline TPS

•  2,501 2,501
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 05:43:12 AM »
forgot something

Y and A home switch should have seperate inputs.

Thomas
anything is possible, just try to do it.
if you find some mistakes, in my bad bavarian english,they are yours.
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 05:12:25 PM »
THANK YOU
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 02:56:50 PM »
The diagram has the home switches going to one pin and the limit switches going to another.  If I am using one switch to serve as both a home & limit switch, do I wire it only to the home or do I also wire it to the pin for a limit?  Thanks