Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 02:41:24 AM

Author Topic: Matsuura MC500v retrofit with CSMIP/IP-A  (Read 26542 times)

Re: Matsuura MC500v retrofit with CSMIP/IP-A
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »
Yes. The dl06 runs the tool changer and also orients the spindle for the tool change. There is a pnumatic dog that locks out the spindle in the correct orientation. I decided to have the dl06 run the drive because it would be easier to program the tool changer. I suppose I could connect the spindle and pnumatic solenoid for the dog to the iPa and write that portion of the tool change in the m6 macro.what do you think would be easier?  Thanks.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »
Have you tried the spindle orientation in the IP-A?
I have never tried it with the IP-A but I use it with the IP-S on the wee lathe so that the chuck stops with the key in a suitable position.
I assume you have an encoder on the motor?

Hood
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 05:19:39 PM »
I think I do have an encoder on the motor. I haven't looked into installing it yet because I'm not at that point yet. To be honest Hood, I didn't even know the ip/a had a spindle orientation feature. Does this need programming in VB to work with a tool changer or does it automatically perform the operation at the activation of the M6 command? I'll do more research tonight.

You know, another option would be to have the IP-A run the spindle but also have the DL06 send a low rpm signal to the drive during a tool change operation. I have the drive set to communicate via modbus with the DL06, but I could get an analog output expansion module for the dl06 and send the signal that way.  I definitely like the idea of having the IP-A run the spindle during programs. This way, if there is every a problem with Mach to DL06 communications the program won't start with a dead spindle. 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 05:24:52 PM »
When you stop the spindle it stops at the defined position, so for example if you have 20 degrees set it will stop at 20 degrees from the encoders Index.
As said I have never tried it with the IP-A but it does work well with the IP-S, so no reason to think it would be different in the IP-A, then again ::)

Yes you could do that with the PLC and toolchange but I would definitely want it via the IP-A for the actual spindle, it should be more accurate in speed I would think as well as I am sure even with a VFD you can set it up closed loop but best check on that as I have never really looked into it as I use a servo.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2015, 05:37:38 PM »
Just looked in the plugin and maybe the angle stop does not work with a VFD as when you  disable the Spindle Axis option it greys out. Will have to download the latest plugin here and see if it is the same.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2015, 05:42:43 PM »
Nope looks like it is still greyed out if you choose the DAC option rather than spindle axis :(
Same with the closed loop option.
Of course if your VFD can accept +/- 10v commands rather than 0-10v then you could set it up as a spindle axis.

Hood
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2015, 07:16:24 PM »
Thats too bad. You had me all kinds of excited with talk of spindle orientation! I looked over the IP-A manual and from my cursory glances I gather that only with a servodrive running the spindle can you orient the spindle upon stop. That settles it. Next time I retrofit something it will have a servo for the spindle motor.

As far as the drive accepting + or - signals, the gs2 drives from Automation Direct only accept 0 to+10v.

Can you explain the difference is between DAC and spindle axis? If the drive will accept an analog input and has an encoder, I don't understand why the IP-A could not perform a closed loop operation.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »
To be honest I am not sure either why it can't. I was almost certain it could as I seem to recall a guy from Greece, I was helping set up a lathe, said that CS-Lab had said it was possible for closed loop with VFD. I must have been mistaken but it may be worth an email to them to see if there is a way.

Hood
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
Well, I think for now I'll keep the spindle under dl06 control while I get the rest of the machine on line. I'll engineer some kind of alarm that will trip an estop is the spindle doest respond to Mach commands to prevent  problems. Theoretically it should work. Before the machine is finished I'll get the analog expansion module and place the drive under IP-A control as I mentioned above.

When I started researching options for the retrofit, I talked to a company stateside here called PMDX. They had provided the breakout board I used for a brideport retrofit I did a few years ago. They didn't have an ethernet control board, but they told me Brian Barker had recently purchased two of these very same machines and was planning to retrofit them both. I emailed Brian and he put me in touch with the guy who was designing his retrofits, Scott Schaffer. Scott planned to have the spindle under DL06 control. From the reading I've done, Scott is extremely knowledgable on machine design and mach retrofits. He's done quite a bit with this particular PLC. So, long story short, this is the primary reason my DL06 controls the spindle drive.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who makes a vfd that takes a + or- 10V signal?

Jonathon

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 03:11:04 AM »
I'll get the analog expansion module and place the drive under IP-A control as I mentioned above.

Is that a module for the VFD?

Regarding the Alarm, just input it to the IP-A and set it up as the spindle alarm in the plugin.

Yes, Scott knows his way around the 06 PLCs, thats for sure.

I know the Yaskawa spindle drive I have has +/- 10v, it is basically a big VFD but as for other "normal" VFDs afraid I do not know offhand any that do the +/- 10v, I dont use VFDs really so not too familiar with them.

Hood