Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 02:41:52 PM

Author Topic: Recommendations on a good CAM system for Mach3 please  (Read 3777 times)

Offline tony_m

•  10 10
  • Woodwind instrument maker.
    • View Profile
Recommendations on a good CAM system for Mach3 please
« on: December 26, 2014, 04:53:02 PM »
Hi
I am looking for a good quality CAM system for turning to go with Mach3 and drive my Denford Orac lathe. I am turning outside profiles only, but they involve complex curves which need to be read from a .DXF file and need to be able to cope with an auto tool changer.
I have tried Lazycam and found it difficult to use and I could not fathom the user interface, and the tool paths it generated were just a nonsense. Budget is not the problem and I am expecting to pay much more than the good old $50 dollar programs which seem to proliferate the internet.
I am new to this whole subject, so any recommendations would be gratefully received.
thanks
Tony M
Denford Orac lathe and Wabaco mill running with Mach 3 on XP.
I wish I had gone with CNC years ago!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on a good CAM system for Mach3 please
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:19:42 PM »
Don't use the lathe module of Lazycam since the tooling was never completed / dosen't work right.

Lazyturn is free, has a manual, and will do outside profiles quite easily. It was created to replace the turn module in LazyCam.

I use Dolphin Lathe. Price for a hobby version is around $400.

Someone posted a lathe program called EZILATHE which you may want to check out, it's free. I have not taken the time to
test the generated code.

You may want to look into BobCad, as that has lathe capability. Think Hood uses it and may reply to this thread.

RICH

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:23:38 PM by RICH »

Offline tony_m

•  10 10
  • Woodwind instrument maker.
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations on a good CAM system for Mach3 please
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
Hi Rich
Thanks for your reply - I will have a look at Dolphin lathe and see if it looks like it will fit the bill.
Great to know it wasnt just me finding Lazycam difficult!
Cheers
Tony
Denford Orac lathe and Wabaco mill running with Mach 3 on XP.
I wish I had gone with CNC years ago!