Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:39:13 PM

Author Topic: SugQuestion from a newbie - variable interface  (Read 16369 times)

SugQuestion from a newbie - variable interface
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:00:53 PM »
After three years detailing cabinets in CabinetVision, & occasionally running the machine, I am restoring an old machine & trying to learn all facets of CNC in simulcast. 

I know just enough programming to think that if the Darwin parallel driver opened with a "What level of presentation/ function do you need" with a way to select 'dummy' or 'smartypants', you could selectively invoke display of the user interface as appropriate.  Of course you could create a path to change the setting later, but this would allow the interface & related videos to be tailored appropriately.  The 'dummy' video would cover the basics in simple terms & limit all the sidebar explanations that will confuse the huge number of new users Mach 4 will be receiving, and the advanced video would allow you to assume a level of knowledge so you can explain the plethora of advanced features more directly.  Yes, you'll have to do more videos, but I suspect they'll be better understood by all.

I don't know enough about your other products to know if this could work there or not.

Thanks for thinking about it-
OB

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: SugQuestion from a newbie - variable interface
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:09 PM »
The problem with that is that there are no "basic" or "advanced" settings. You assign inputs and outputs to interface with your particular hardware. None of the settings are any more basic or advanced than others. For those building or converting a CNC machine, there are things that you really need to know and understand if you want it to be successful.

While I do agree that Mach4 could definitely be made more user friendly, at the same time I absolutely hate to be limited by software that's going out of it's way to make things easier for those that don't know how to use it.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html