Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:01:31 PM

Author Topic: Emco PCturn55 slow conversion..  (Read 2834 times)

Emco PCturn55 slow conversion..
« on: October 24, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
Hi Guys,
I have an emco pcturn55 cnc lathe that I am in the process of converting over to MACH3. I got the machine with all cards and software. Supposedly it was all working so before starting the conversion process I though I would give it a go. To my surprise it all started up. The software to run the lathe is called 'winnc32 ver13', this runs inside windows 98. The Gcode command/interface is via a funky tablet and is 'FANUC series 0T'. The only problem was no power supply for the 'tablet' - I did a bit of research and found it was 500ma 5v center positive, hooked up a lab supply to test it out and all was good. There are some programs still in the program memory so I used them to start learning Gcode (I am new to that). All ok so far, the system works and is very effective - great machine to get up and going with and worth a change over to MACH3 as that opens up more options. I have already made quite some investigations into the conversion process and will update this post when I have all the parts and am ready to go. Upon testing and playing with the machine I discovered that the main spindle was 'Knocking' - spin it up to speed 3000 (not sure if this is RPM but that does not matter for the moment) and a very annoying 'tap', 'tap' can be heard. Looking carefully I found some play in the rear bearing. I am concluding this must be worn and will change both front and back bearing. I have attached pictures - upon disassembly I have no idea how to remove the two (or one) circlips. I am hoping someone can give me an idea on this. As you can see access to grab the clips is rather small. Any ideas?

I will post up more pictures as I work on this - hopefully they will be useful for someone else.

many thanks,
John
Re: Emco PCturn55 slow conversion..
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 02:29:30 PM »
Hi,
done! For those who have one of these machines and may need to change the spindle/headstock bearings do it like this:

remove part 18 (circlip)
use bearing puller or similar to pull part 20 (comes off very easy)
tap spindle out of bearings (comes out easy)
remove bearings (I was able to simply pull them out)

change bearings..
put back together in reverse..

cheers,
john