Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:46:23 AM

Author Topic: testing the water, so to speak  (Read 5664 times)

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
testing the water, so to speak
« on: August 27, 2014, 06:06:23 AM »
Guys

Yes total noob at this (all of it) but managed to get my arduino to be a slave, comms between Mach3 and arduino (ModBus slave) seems to be working (test's can read and write) and started some of the config's in Mach screens, however, I have no idea how to start a brain.

I have created one, but completely lack the means to be sure if it will work for what I have. So here's me testing the water, if I post it here, would somebody please be so kind as to at least check it for me and tell me it's rubbish or yes it will work, but i still need to rework it?

I have the following as far as the physical machine setup goes:

4 axis X,Y, Z and a rotational axis B parallel fitted to Y pointing in the Y- direction.
these are connected to four Nema23 1.8deg Steppers, X, Y, and Z have 3NM holding torque and B only has 1NM holding torque.
4 Wantai DQ542MA stepper controllers.
a cooling pump currently manually switched (would love to include that into the brain, dunno how to thou)
Manual (POT operated speed control, Not very accurate at best) speed control for the router spindle.
iPad app, to be installed today along with the PC applet (looking forward to this control interface)
No limit switches at current, perhaps me struggling with the brain is a blessing in disguise as to ensure I have these installed prior to any actual movements of the machine. I am intending to install at least two per X, Y and Z axis and hopefully also a homing switch (not too sure how many and config (physical machine layout) would be required)
There is a 2Channel relay that is still to be fitted to actually cut the power at the end of a program (entire cycle one channel) remainder channel to cut router and coolant power between tool changes (tool cycle ends)
and lastly, an arduino LCDKeypad (six button) shield which p;ugs onto the mega2560 board which was intended for info regarding realtime axis pos, toolpath/job duration/status/completion but again i am hampered by my lack of knowledge. Having said that I cannot do something if I am just told to do it, I need to understand it and therefore have to learn how to do it myself.

PLEASE I do not want any handouts just some help in understanding how to get my and the Mach3 brain working for the above specs?

Thanx in advance!
When I die, will someone please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend my funeral. No need to do or say anything, just attend and stand a short distance away? PLEASE???
Re: testing the water, so to speak
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 07:23:59 PM »
Im trying to do the same thing you are kind of . Use Arduino  for modbus to achieve more outputs.
Heres a great video on the basics of how to write to the "brain"
Sorry I cant help more. If you get it all figured out please post a tutorial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8V7dZy02og&list=UUAirsIZEyRJLdpNUlRUg1FA

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
Thanx for the link, will try and watch it once our IT Dept. has lifted their ridiculous filters, hehe.

As for the Arduino idea, well I completely ripped that out of the entire process, just way too many an issue, I opted for "stirling"'s advice and went with the parallel port, as he mentioned that ModBus is not for the time critical functions, this resulted in me getting an additional parallel port (PCI card) but, i bumped into a "Mach friendly" BOB and although it does not have as many an input as I would like, it should work (well it works on the stepper's so far)

Still need to attach the following and test:
e-stop switch currently manually operated,
spindle control, also still manually operated currently,
flood control, also currently a manual thing,
end of job power cut system (2 channel 5v relay BOB) not yet connected; and,
six limit switches. the latter will just have to function on the limited input pins on the "mach friendly" BOB i got and I am considering placing X++ and X-- limit switches onto the same input pin with the same outcome in the brain (although I guess that I will only state one of the swithces, either X++ or X--) IF this does not work, well, I always have the option of the second parallel port with all it's pins still unasigned.

This should be in the worx very soon. I managed to salvage the PC "box" from one of the two that I combined parts from to get the one functional and working with mach. This "box" will soon house all the electronics as opposed to their current location attached to the rear of the machine on the stiffner plate of the X-axis. This means a total rewire as all the wiring that is done in the current config, is precise in length and sleeved, will it ever end? Probably not, but I suppose there is good in that too.

Wrote a brain for soft limits that worked like a charm, I just now have to write something similar for the hard limit switches and the rest of the control equipment (add-ons) and hopefully it will be as easy as it was with the softlimit brain ???

Promise to take some pics today and see if I can upload them, tried some before but failed, internet PC @ work= sucks big time.
When I die, will someone please dress up as the Grim Reaper and attend my funeral. No need to do or say anything, just attend and stand a short distance away? PLEASE???

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:38:08 AM »
Hi again LGF - you may want to read the manual about soft and hard limits - you don't need Brains for either - all functionality is ready to go out of the box. (Hint: you can get away with 1 pin for ALL the hardware limits AND homing).

Offline LGF

•  37 37
  • can't sit still
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 05:19:49 AM »
thanx for reply, thought as much since i got a Mach3 friendly BOB, i mean a limit switch is a limit switch and all 6 of them has the same outcome, hence it doesn't matter which was triggered. sorry for the long absence, been oversea's and currently fighting a family crisis (Father in Coma after stroke) but will update progress as I can. Getting there quite fast now. most issues sorted.