Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:43:15 AM

Author Topic: Newbie Lazycam question  (Read 4706 times)

Newbie Lazycam question
« on: September 04, 2014, 10:59:46 PM »
Hi.  I have the registered version of Mach3 (Mach3Version3.043.066.exe) with the version of LazyCam which it comes with.  I do not have the paid LazyCam, just this version of LazyCam that comes with the registered Mach3.

My table-top CNC router has some Z flex while plunging.  So the way I've accommodated this is to draw my own "lead-ins" to my shapes, and to have a final clean-up pass which cleans-up about .01" in a single-pass.

I'm including a pic of how I'd draw a hole, for example.  I'd use a 1/4" router bit with this and end-up with a 5/8" hole.  The red layer may cut through 1/2" thick material in several passes, the green layer does a single pass through the entire 1/2" and cleans-up about .01".

It works, and I get pretty good results.  But it is a bit extra work to draw and I wonder if there isn't an easier way, with the tools I have (no more money for more software, I need to use what I have).

I like the control I have in LazyCam, drawing the exact path for the router bit to follow.  But I'm not sure I'm doing this right.

Maybe the question I ask is, how would you drill a 5/8" hole and get acceptable results if you have a less than perfectly ridged z-axis and want to use the version of LazyCam that came with Mach3?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Lazycam question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:54:57 AM »
cgallery,

Fix the Z azis, make depth and offset cuts that minimize the problems of your axis.
Simply put, yes you can take into consideration your machine or abnormal conditions when planning your work
but don't expect software to cure your machine problems.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:07 AM »
cgallery,

Fix the Z azis, make depth and offset cuts that minimize the problems of your axis.
Simply put, yes you can take into consideration your machine or abnormal conditions when planning your work
but don't expect software to cure your machine problems.

RICH

Last night I was experimenting with the LeadIn settings, and it looks like I can make LazyCam automatically do what I've been attempting in my drawings.  So I'm going to experiment with that.

I don't think I'd ever be able to get the machine to the point where there was absolutely no deflection in the Z.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:26:32 AM »
Post a picture of your machine and we may be able to suggest some easy fixes.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 10:56:10 AM »
Post a picture of your machine and we may be able to suggest some easy fixes.

It is a table-top K2CNC prototype.  I don't want to make it seem like there is tons of flex, and I've been able to accommodate what flex there is.  I think the leadin settings are what I needed to use, I'm going to give them a try and if that doesn't help I'll be back with pictures and more questions.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 05:37:04 AM »
Just for info there is Lazycam manual in Member's Doc's. You may want to have a look at Cambam.
RICH