Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:46:04 AM

Author Topic: Is my USB SS dead?  (Read 5246 times)

Is my USB SS dead?
« on: August 31, 2014, 10:42:04 PM »
I've been fighting with this thing for hours. I was running a part earlier on my taig and stepped away for 2 seconds, suddenly don't hear anything.
It was either this error or the I/O error the first time.

After mach3 locked up i restarted, but it didn't recognize the SS and locked up again, now i can't even close it with task manager in Win7.
I installed Mach3/ss+drivers on a much newer pc and am getting the same problems, total lockup, sometimes it recognizes and sounds like the servos are powering up, but still get all the errors and lockup. Even with the SS usb cable disconnected i get the FTDI errors.

Is this thing fried? The box is Jeff's STDR-4C. Shielded usb cable with the ferrite bead, line filter box for the spindle etc. I can see the blue glow inside the controller from the SS still, goes out if i unplug usb.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:44:45 PM by icepick method »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Is my USB SS dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 04:30:48 AM »
The FTDI error means the plug-in can't talk to the SmoothStepper, so yes you will get that if the SmoothStepper is not plugged in.

On the new computer you set up - unplug the USB cable to STDR-4C and turn STDR-4C off. Now reboot PC, when it comes back up open device manager. Turn on STDR-4C and plug the USB cable in. Look under USB devices in Device Manager, does the SmoothStepper show up?

Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:53:04 PM »
Did a full re-install of windows7 and everything's almost back to normal. When i hit Ref All Home the Z goes up, What setting am i missing?

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »
What do you think it should do? If you have home sensors enabled and tell Mach to home it will move the axis to try and find the sensors...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt