Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:05:58 PM

Author Topic: How does Feed Rate relate to Velocity-Acceleration  (Read 5037 times)

How does Feed Rate relate to Velocity-Acceleration
« on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:57 PM »
I'm just learning how to operate my new CNC and am wondering about feed rate as it relates to the Velocity and Acceleration that is set up in Motor Tuning.

I ran a job that I gave a feed rate of 50 to create the g-code and it ran well except I would like to see it go faster. Now if I were to turn the feet rate up to say 100 would it go as fast as my machine is set up for through motor tuning? And plunge rate I imagine would control only the z axis and work the same way right?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: How does Feed Rate relate to Velocity-Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
The attached should give you some insight into how Feedrate Velocity, Accel are related.

RICH
Re: How does Feed Rate relate to Velocity-Acceleration
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 03:03:21 PM »
Thanks, I see that there is no advantage in using a higher kernel speed than necessary because the motor has a certain performance, as well as the inertia that it takes, as well as gearing, or how the machine is built etc. And velocity and acceleration is best when "experimented with" for each individual machine. I tried to build my machine for fast y axis movement for back and forth carving g-code.

Therefore I will turn down my kernel speed from 35000 to the recommended 25000 and re-calibrate the motor tuning. My documentation showed 35000 so that's how I set it up.

And it looks like the max feed rate would be the same as the motor tuning velocity that is set up for any particular machine. The document doesn't say that but that's just my assumption.

I'll play with feed rate and plunge rate when creating my g-code to see what happens.

Thanks, Alan