Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:57:06 PM

Author Topic: Galil DMC1880 no limits - Encoders  (Read 4625 times)

Galil DMC1880 no limits - Encoders
« on: May 25, 2014, 11:54:45 PM »
Im trying to get Mach setup to work with my Galil DMC1880 and ICM1900. The card itself seams to be set up correctly as I can issue commands from Galiltools and everything behaves as it should. Im just having problems with Mach. I have the plugin installed, and the card is listed in the plugin config. I can use the Jog function and I can issue G code movement commands from the MIDI and the motors will respond, however the encoder readouts do not show the movement. Also in the diagnostics screen none of the limits will trigger when the limit switches are activated,even though Galiltools does report them as being activated.

This is being run on a Win7 x86 system.

Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

Re: Galil DMC1880 no limits - Encoders
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »
After more testing it seams that I can only send commands out from Mach, there is no feed back from Galil to Mach.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 01:07:36 PM »
I dug out an old copy of XP, loaded it up and everything worked. I suspect there was a hardware problem when running under Win7 with my motherboard.   
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:15:37 AM »
realize this has not been active for a while now, i feel there is not always enough information shared as answers are found to issues in mach. i have NO doubt some one will be seaching for this same issue someday. i will pass along what i have learned fixed my issue, so that 6 months or a year it may help someone else.

W7 x64, use compatabilty mode, xpsp3 run as admin.

this may or may not be the cure for everyone but, for me & w7 x64 and dmc4080 asus mother board, and my limit/home switches  being seen by mach on the diagnostics page yet not actually working to home the machine it did. my issue was mach saw my home on diagnostic screen, if i activate the switch it would error out stating switch is active mach can not home. deactivated mach would home but ignore the switch when it hit. this cant be both ways!. if it works cancels home why wont it work when it hits?

i chased this for hours on my galil. active low, active hi, cn1 cn -1.

realizing mach was seeing the home sw, the galil was and  they both had the correct active setting in the beginning. yet i spent hrs thinking it was comm, wrong settings. hit the switch mach complains i can not home the axis as the limit switch was active, yet would never find it during home? yea ok.

shut down mach, change the compatability mode and off and running.

the reason i am posting to this are below. we all run into an issue and scrub the forums for answers and lets all agree, its alot of time searching, and depressing to see an unanswered question that can help us.

looking at the some simple questions many ask, that are many legit ones yet they  go an answered for years. no doubt in my mind many people search the forum for an issue, find joy that they came across a post with an issue they have and let down to  find no answers, many views

ones that bother me the most are the ones that are pages long,  4 or 5 people assist and the answer is never posted for the next one of us who may need it.
there are not many members who dont have to ask questions at one time or another and information shared helps us all

many members have migrated to W7 and W7 x64. M$ is pushing us all that way. most of these issues will disappear when mach4 is released. for me i wont be upgrading to mach4 for some time now.

so there are legitimate setup and programming issues for some with W7 more so W7 x64. we should all pass knowledge along as we find cures to issues. it may not be exactly the same fix for each but it sure helps. W7 can be touchy for mach depending on motherboards, processors. i run it on all my machines. each one has its own setup issues. for me i build each Pc using the same components to help eliminate.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 07:20:49 AM by raptor »
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 03:53:48 PM »
In my instance I never did get things to work with Win7. I spent many hours trouble shooting the problem. Compatibility modes, and other possible fixes I found here did not solve the issue. After finally switching to XP my verdict was a software/ hardware conflict between Win7 and my mother board. The board is a Tyan, a good enterprise class board, but older and I believe the drivers available did not properly interface the board from Win7. Ill try Win7 again when I upgrade the computer but that will be some distance in the future as the machine runs just fine under XP and the computer has well more than enough power to run things.