Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:44:21 PM

Author Topic: Mach 4 Feature Request  (Read 424525 times)

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 4 Feature Request
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2014, 10:47:33 PM »
"OK! It well be great if the machine side under Mach4 control is just suppose to follow the gcode BUT without pauses in motion when Mcodes does switching.
In Mach3 any M command will cause a pause in the motion if it comes in the cut path.
Now I'am  not using an M command. Necessary to me data I receive from Mach3 variables. But in Mach4 SDK I do not see any of these variables, and I'm interested in how to implement the desired function."

It just means you are using the wrong approach to have it work WITHOUT pauses.

(;-) TP
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:13 AM »
"OK! It well be great if the machine side under Mach4 control is just suppose to follow the gcode BUT without pauses in motion when Mcodes does switching.
In Mach3 any M command will cause a pause in the motion if it comes in the cut path.
Now I'am  not using an M command. Necessary to me data I receive from Mach3 variables. But in Mach4 SDK I do not see any of these variables, and I'm interested in how to implement the desired function."

It just means you are using the wrong approach to have it work WITHOUT pauses.

(;-) TP

Well, then do not tell me the right approach?
--Andrew

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2014, 10:18:43 PM »
Mach4 NEEDS a dedicated Directory structure with EVERYTHING pointed to the correct Directory.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2014, 02:47:17 PM »
Mach4 needs a Probe calibaration routine that when implemented will OFFSET the probe trip values based on the calibration results.  You run this routine every time you mount your probe. It requires the use of a simple ball and post OR a calibrated slip ring.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 23, 2014, 02:50:06 PM »
Mach4 needs an alternant RPobe routine G31.15  G31.25 ?   where it probes into a trip then reverses back to the UNTRIP position and this will be the trip point.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 23, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
In the tool table could you make a table entry for TRT (tool Run Time Total accumalated run  time of tool) Each time the tool is called Mach4 could start a M3 (spindle on)timer that runs until the next tool change. Then add the time to the ToolTime slot in the tool table.

It would REALLY help with tool management and should be fairly simple to do.

(;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 25, 2014, 12:28:26 AM »
How about a sequencial serial number engraving function. Set a System #var to enter the current S/N.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #87 on: May 25, 2014, 09:13:41 AM »
In the toolpath window, is there any way to get the "Highlight and Past Move Color" to be more bold?

In Mach4, it's very difficult to see, regardless of the colors used. In Mach3, it's much easier to see.

Also, it would be nice if the toolpath move and rotate mouse buttons were the same as Mach3.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 25, 2014, 12:14:01 PM »
In reading the various feature requests it becomes clear that there is some difference in how the developers and the users define 'feature'. The sampling is very small, statistically insignificant, but if you pick any 5 users, add the MACH developers and you could have 6 different 'favorite' or 'correct' methods to accomplish almost any processes.

Most of the 'features' requested thus far can be easily accomplished with the new far more powerful scripting. Adding a 'feature' via script has several advantages, the most fundamental of which is the fact that each programmer is free to take whatever path he/she chooses and users might have the benefit of choosing among several different scripts to accomplish the needed task.

Consider:

1) Most of the 'feature' requests thus far are doable in Lua.

2) Different programmers may have very different paths to get to the same place.

3) Skill set varies greatly among programmers as well as specific knowledge of CNC needs and wants.

4) A highly skilled programmer can make the system do whatever and however the users (customer) wants, provided the developers have provided access to the required data.

5) There are already a few programmers who demonstrate programming skills and knowledge of MACH4, so there should be no question that there will be many as discussion continues and particularly when documentation becomes available.

GENERAL SOLUTION:

Given these concepts, it occurs to me that there should be a thread for 'Script Request' in addition to Feature Request. Scriptable 'Features' posted here could be moved to that thread. Programmers will cruise the Script thread looking for interesting challenges, believe it!  Code will be posted and comments, corrections, additions and mods will be made by both programmers and users.

SPECIFIC NEEDS:

What I see as reasonable contributions by the MACH4 developers is to provide access to the data (obviously), but also to provide several 'User Fields' in any table used by the software.

Using the example of the mods requested thus far to the MACH4 tool table, all could be done with scripts, but it would be a PIA to have to create new tables and try to link and sync each record to a line in a MACH table. An 'advanced' option should reveal several script accessible 'User Data fields' in each record in the tool table. This would facilitate a programmer being able to store, recall and manipulate data that has a fixed association with a MACH4 var.

In my opinion, accumulating tool run time is not particularly useful, but in any case, the proper place for such a process to execute is within the tool changer control software (which is not part of MACH4). But whether any given 'feature' is useful or not, there need to be 'User Fields' in a data structure for use by scripts.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #89 on: May 25, 2014, 12:34:54 PM »
The problem is that 99% of the users don't know what's "scriptable" and what's not.
If requested features can be added via Lua, can someone just point that out?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html